Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:08 PM   #1

Default Jump at G1 Deal?

Okay... many of you already know that, in a fit of stupidity, I lost my Olympus E-PL1 and most of its accessories. Now... one thing that was left at home (and therefore is still in my posession), is my Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens. So when I buy another micro four-thirds camera, I need only get one with a kit lens right away.

Now, I've broached this subject with you before... but now we have some rumors about new micro four-thirds products from both Pansonic and Olympus coming at Photokina... including possibly GF- and Pen-type rangefinders with built-in viewfinders (although only rumored).

With that in mind, do you think it would be better to wait and see what's unveiled in September or jump at a $500 deal on a leftover G1 with its arguably better 14-45mm kit lens? A lot of people recommend the G2, which is a nice camera - but $300 more expensive and has the 14-42mm kit lens. Plus... the G2 will definitely still be available after September. The G1 and 14-45 might not. And I'm not that concerned about video capability.

Current G1 owners - or those who have traded up - any thoughts?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:22 PM   #2

The G1 is a very useable camera. It's very good with MF lenses via adapters, and the EVF is great.

I've recently upgraded to the G2. The reason apart from anything else, is that I live in Japan, and domestic model Panasonic cameras have Japanese only menu. However, there is a firmware hack to change the G1 (and GH1 / GF1) to English, but not the G2 at present. I coped with the Japanese menu before the hack was available, but my brother wanted a G1 or G2. So we did a swap of sorts. I bought the G2 + 14-42mm & 45-200mm for him and we swapped my G1 for the G2, so that he would have English menu. (and we sort of split the difference in price)

All of the Panasonic micro 4/3 are cheap in Japan, so the G2 + two lens kit was the equivalent of around $780 USD, so you can see why this deal was good!!! He got the G1 + 14-42mm & 45-200mm for about $530, and I got the G2 body for about $250

Anyway, the G2 has some cool features. The touch screen is useful for instantly selecting an off center focal point, and for the zoom point for MF and zoom point for playback. However, if you really don't need the HD Video, then I don't think the extra $300 is worth it. Also, it seems that the older 14-45mm lens is better than the newer 14-42mm lens.

So all up, if had no G1 or G2 already, and I didn't need video, I'd save he $300 and get the G1.

Last edited by dnas; Aug 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:29 PM   #3

If you need low light, from 800iso up, it gets a bit noise on the G2 which is a updated sensor. Your lost EPL-1 is a much better low light camera.

According to popular photography. 600iso is where noise is acceptable. And 800iso and up are unacceptable. But from 600iso and down it is a fantastic. Even given this result, it still beat the sony nex and samsung nx in a 3 way h2h. But the epl-1 beats the g2 hands down from the test data. It is actually better form 100-1600iso then the nex and nx with are aps-c sensors.

Last edited by shoturtle; Aug 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:55 PM   #4

actually the 14-42 of the oly optically is better then the 14-45 of the panasonic but it is not by much. Both olympus and panansonic corrects for the distortion of the lenses.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:18 PM   #5

Biro,

on the olympus note, I remember a member going to a olympus class, and the instructor said the next thing will be a smaller evil then even the epl-1, doubt it will have a evf if it goes smaller
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you need low light, from 800iso up, it gets a bit noise on the G2 which is a updated sensor. Your lost EPL-1 is a much better low light camera.

According to popular photography. 600iso is where noise is acceptable. And 800iso and up are unacceptable. But from 600iso and down it is a fantastic. Even given this result, it still beat the sony nex and samsung nx in a 3 way h2h. But the epl-1 beats the g2 hands down from the test data. It is actually better form 100-1600iso then the nex and nx with are aps-c sensors.
The Panasonic G2 has the same sensor as the G1 & the GF1, and also the Olympus E-P2 and E-PL1.

According to this noise test, the G1, G2 & GF1 perform slightly better on noise, than the E-P2 and E-PL1.

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f41/m...f1-g2-gh1-314/

It also says that the GH1 out performs the cameras above (it has a different sensor) and even outperforms the Samsung NX10 (APS-C), while the best was the Sony NEX 5 (APS-C). The Samsung NX10 was a disappointment for a larger APS-C sensor, being only a fraction better than G1, G2 & GF1, and the E-P2 and E-PL1.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:24 PM   #7

From personal testing, the epl-1 will shot fine at 2000iso. And popular photography did a test and rated the epl-1 sensor has better noise control then the sony nex from 100-1600iso, above that the sony just takes over. This is something I find that the G2 did not do well at all.

check out the epl-1 at 2000iso, on this tread on post 10

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...n-g11-s90.html
Old Aug 15, 2010, 9:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
From personal testing, the epl-1 will shot fine at 2000iso. And popular photography did a test and rated the epl-1 sensor has better noise control then the sony nex from 100-1600iso, above that the sony just takes over. This is something I find that the G2 did not do well at all.

check out the epl-1 at 2000iso, on this tread on post 10

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...n-g11-s90.html
Nevertheless, that's what that particular test between 8 different cameras revealed!!!!!

An cynic could say that you have investment in making sure the E-PL1(and/or Canon DSLRs) is better than any Panasonic.....
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:06 PM   #9

popular photography did a test of the newest 3 mirrorless camera's nex, nx and G2. And the G2 won the shoot out reguardless that it really tops out at 600iso without PP. Sony was second and samsung was 3rd. But the baseline performance was compare to the epl-1 that they did a complete test on in June. And the EPL-1 had the G2 beat in iso performance from 400-3200 where the epl-1 stops. And form 100-1600iso, the oly was better.

The G2 is a very good camera for daylight shooting, it is just not an alrounder camera because of the iso performance at high iso of 800 and up. From 400iso and down it has the better sensor for shooting in that environment.

But I did bring a sd card to J and R when I check out the G2 and when I set the camera to 1600iso, it just did not perform when I was shooting at one of the darker corner of the store. It was just very noise. Not like what the epl-1 and nex did in the same saturation.

So the Panny would not be a camera I would use to take photos at a convention center where the light is spotty at times and 1600iso is required.

And if you check out my paris by night photos, the epl-1 actually did a really good job against the t1i when both were mounted with 1.7 and a 1.8 fast prime at 1600iso. Something the G2 can not do.

But if I was taking photos on a nice sunny day, where I did not need high iso, the G2 would get my vote.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 12:10 PM   #10

I think one thing that needs to be clarified here is whether one is shooting jpgs or RAW. The micro four-thirds RAW tests by Serious Compacts are no doubt accurate. But Olympus seems to have its jpg engine algorythms down pat. When shooting jpgs, ISO 3200 is easy and worry free. DPReview says you don't even need to use RAW with the E-PL1 and that was my experience as well. In fact, Oly's jpg engine is probably the main reason I hesitate to simply buy a Panasonic right now. If Oly comes out with a micro four-thirds camera with a built-in EVF that's as good as the VF-2, it's all over as far as I'm concerned.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote