Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:06 AM   #1

Default GH1 + Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 Macro

Personal circumstances have seen me not posting for a while (not taking pictures much either ), but I thought I would start another of my 'legacy lens sample' threads... hopefully others will contribute, and as ever C&C welcome

I have been considering a 'dedicated' macro lens for some time, watching (and missing out) on a few auctions. I finally snapped up a minty Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 lens for 87, which doesn't quite fit into my usual 'budget' category, but seems to be the going rate.

I fired it onto my GH1 to grab some test shots yesterday on my lunch break, and am really very happy with the results! These were all shot hand-held, with the indoor pics wide open at f2.5 and the small purple flower stopped down to f8, with quick post-processing in CS4.....

Whilst shooting the flower, a flying insect caught my attention... I watched it land and went to investigate! Not the best viewing angle, and she didn't hang about....

I've never captured one of these before, and yes, I know those pics aren't technically brilliant (only f/4 from memory), but there's something about them I like. Plus they work great as desktop wallpaper

I think I'm going to enjoy this lens!
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2010, 3:05 PM   #2

Nice pictures! I think, ALL macro lenses in this class are very good. 90 -105mm is ideal, small and fast (and inexpensive) lens, but enough distance to animals.

Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 lens for 87 is a very good price for such a lens!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 4:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Nice pictures! I think, ALL macro lenses in this class are very good. 90 -105mm is ideal, small and fast (and inexpensive) lens, but enough distance to animals.

Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 lens for 87 is a very good price for such a lens!
Thanks DonalDuc... there was me thinking no-one had noticed them!

I've been watching these change hands on eBay at over 100, so I guess whilst not 'budget' like some of my other acquisitions, it is a good price, and lots cheaper than a native m4/3 macro lens

Looking forward to having fun with this one, and can't wait for the twinkly Christmas lights... I reckon the bokeh is going to be beautiful
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:00 PM   #4

Very nice results. The flower shot could have been under exposed by -0.3. It would bring up the colors and reduce some of the bright spots (broader line to being over exposed IMO). What mount is this lens?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 1:31 PM   #5

Cheers Tullio! Looks like my RAW processing wasn't up to scratch on the flowers

The Tamron lens is Adaptall, and came with an OM mount, which I've temporarilly stuck in a drawer. I considered getting a m4/3 to Adaptall adaptor, but decided just to go for an inexpensive (6) FD adaptall mount to try the lens on the GH1 using my existing FD-m4/3 adaptor.

Now that I know I like the lens, I could get another FD adaptor (now have 5 FD mount lenses!), or go for native Tamron-m4/3 or Olympus OM-m4/3. Think I might go OM, as there are some nice Zuiko lenses that might be worth getting if the price is right
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:02 AM   #6

Yes, I'd go for the OM adapter as well.

Tullio
Old Sep 10, 2010, 5:39 AM   #7

Default First ever focus stack!

I thought I'd share this image too, taken last night with the Tamron lens... my first attempt at focus stacking! It's not perfect, but I enjoyed the process involved, and am quite happy with the result - next time, more layers

Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:12 AM   #8

Beautiful picture! What is "focus stacking"? How does it work? (of course I can always google it but...).

Tullio
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:27 AM   #9

Default Focus Stacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Beautiful picture! What is "focus stacking"? How does it work? (of course I can always google it but...).
Thanks Tullio! "Focus stacking" is just what it sounds like - it's a process I came across that's used to great effect in macro (and micro) photography to 'artificially' increase the depth-of-field...

The process involves taking a series of photographs of the subject, each with a slightly different focal point, and then selectively blending them together to achieve maximum sharpness across the subject!

Here, I setup the Tamron and GH1 on my tripod (on the dining room table!), turned on the lights, pointed at the flower, preset my white balance and set my aperture to f4 on the lens. I then focused on the foremost petal for the first shot, and then took successive photos moving the focal plane back through the flower. I could have taken more 'slices', but I thought 5 was enough. Looking at the finished image, I could have taken at least one more, as the petals at the back aren't sharp. I promise to do better next time

The blending is actually really straightforward in Photoshop CS4, which will happily auto-align and even auto-blend (stack option) your images, although you will need to tweak if you're a perfectionist
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:40 AM   #10

Cool technique...thanks for the quick response and explanation. I'll give it a try one of these days.

Tullio