Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1

Default Lumix 20mm - $350 on Amazon so...

I bought one! Finally! The price has dropped almost $50 in the past few days. I noticed that prices have dropped for many other photographic equipments (camera kits in particular) as well. Good time to upgrade!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I bought one! Finally! The price has dropped almost $50 in the past few days. I noticed that prices have dropped for many other photographic equipments (camera kits in particular) as well. Good time to upgrade!
Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy this addition to your kit.... it's a very nice lens
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:51 AM   #3

Thanks. My reluctance in buying this lens has been the fact that 40mm is tight for indoor shots (I felt the limitations when shooting with my old P&S cameras whose lenses started at 36mm). Add to that the fact that it's a prime (fixed range) and it makes it very limiting. On the positive side, the lens is fast, very sharp and super compact. So, we'll see. the good thing is, if for some reason I dislike it, it goes right back to Amazon for a full refund.

Tullio
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks. My reluctance in buying this lens has been the fact that 40mm is tight for indoor shots (I felt the limitations when shooting with my old P&S cameras whose lenses started at 36mm). Add to that the fact that it's a prime (fixed range) and it makes it very limiting. On the positive side, the lens is fast, very sharp and super compact. So, we'll see. the good thing is, if for some reason I dislike it, it goes right back to Amazon for a full refund.
I very much doubt you'll be sending it back....

I prefer to look on primes as 'liberating' rather than 'limiting' - zooms are great, but you'll find yourself thinking differently when shooting with a fixed focal length. It's a breath of fresh air.

I remember thinking a few years back when I got my 'nifty-fifty' (for my old Canon DSLR) that it would be restrictive, but in reality, the fixed focal length was never an issue. I've got some great pics of my kids in my library that I just simply wouldn't have got with the kit zoom. On APS-C, that 50mm always felt a bit long for indoor group shots, but f/1.8 was great for portraits and low-light shots.

Now that I've moved to m4/3, I find that the 20mm f/1.7 is actually less of a compromise and better indoors - with my GH1 it's great for video too.

Enjoy
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 12:10 PM   #5

I agree with a lot of what you said. Working with primes is fun and it certainly increases one's creativity levels. That's how it was in the old days, right? I had a Pentax ME Super with a 50mm lens (true 50mm) and for the longest time, that was it. Then I bought my very first zoom lens (Vivitar 28-200mm), which I loved but it was big, heavy and bulky. Not very practical at all but it added flexibility and opened up a new world for me. I have many primes I use with my G1 but because they are all MF, I tend not to take them on family trips because they get aggravated by the amount of time I stop to shoot pictures. Having to MF would only increase that time and aggravate them further. Besides, a 50mm lens is really a 100mm, way way too tight for landscape.

Tullio
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:49 PM   #6

I've been trying to decide whether to get this lens as well.
Here in Japan, the price of the GF1 is going down, so do I just buy the lens itself, which costs the equivalent of $385 USD, or do I buy a GF1 kit with the Lumix 20mm, which costs $550 USD!!!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:52 PM   #7

Well, if you do the math, the body is costing you only $165, which is an excellent price for it. However, if you already have a m4/3 camera, then I would pass on it, get the lens only and save the extra money for something else, unless you want a spare body (for IR pehaps?).

Tullio
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Well, if you do the math, the body is costing you only $165, which is an excellent price for it. However, if you already have a m4/3 camera, then I would pass on it, get the lens only and save the extra money for something else, unless you want a spare body (for IR pehaps?).
He he...... well, I already have a spare G1 which I will convert to IR!!

The second hand G1s are dirt cheap here in Tokyo.... Around the equivalent of $200!!!!

However, I could buy the kit and sell the body new, THEN buy something else!!!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:09 AM   #9

That's a good plan!

Tullio