Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:22 AM   #1

Default G1- Lens correction in RAW?

Hi- I have a G1 and 14-45 lens. I believe that adjustments are made in the lens software (or firmware?) to correct for lens aberrations. I have Photoshop CS2 with ACR and convert the RW2 files to DNG using Adobe converter. Would the images be corrected in this situation? Thanks
nilescrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilescrane View Post
Hi- I have a G1 and 14-45 lens. I believe that adjustments are made in the lens software (or firmware?) to correct for lens aberrations. I have Photoshop CS2 with ACR and convert the RW2 files to DNG using Adobe converter. Would the images be corrected in this situation? Thanks
The image is auto corrected in the camera software, using the lens parameters supplied to the body from the lens.

If you use Silkypix RAW converter that comes with the camera, it will automatically correct it. One(or a number) of the versions of Photoshop will also auto correct the lens aberrations.
I use a 3rd party RAW converter to make sure it is not auto corrected.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:07 AM   #3

Thanks for explaining, dnas.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:55 PM   #4

By the way, because the Panasonic lenses are designed to be autocorrected in the camera, 14mm end of the 14-45mm lens (and others such as the 14-40 & 14-42) is actually wider than 14mm.

For example, the 14-45mm lens is designed with pretty good sharpeness center to corner, at the cost of distortion, CA & vignetting. The last 3 can be corrected, while a lack of sharpness cannot. So when the distortion is corrected, quite a bit of the corners are cropped. However, if you intend the shot for a dramatic landscape (etc), you can capture in RAW, process in a 3rd party RAW converter, and end up with something like a 12mm shot!!!!! It's actually quite smart!!

Corrected:

Uncorrected:
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:35 AM   #5

Thanks for that- good tip!