Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:33 PM   #1

Default Suddenly I'm confused!

I use the G1 as I've used DSLRs before, ie spot focus, half-press on the shutter, move camera to desired scene, press shutter rest of way.

But when I set spot metering and did the above, to shoot a white tower with dark foliage in the foreground, the exposure settings changed as I moved the camera. The only way round this was to use AF/AE lock set to AE.

I'm sure it's basic, but how can I use the half-press to set exposure (and is it advisable to keep it on this setting?)?.

Thanks
nilescrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2010, 7:50 PM   #2

Yes, I must admit, this can be a bit confusing.

However, you can do it. In the custom menu, under AF/AE, you can select AE, AF, or AE/AF. Select AE. Then in the AF/AE Hold menu, select "On" This selects if you want to keep your finger on AF/AE button to hold ("Off"), or hit it once and it holds ("On").

With it set to the above, hit the AE lock first, then use the shutter half way to lock the focus. It will hold the AE until you hit the AF/AE button again, and your shutter finger will hold the focus. There is a danger that you will forget that you've engaged the AE lock, so I find it's better to select "off", and just hold the button down with you thumb to lock AE.

Another good option is to select AF/AE menu with AF/AE. When you do this, if you press the AF/AE button, it focuses and AE locks (just like a regular half press on the shutter button) In this case you might find it better to set the AF/AE hold to on. So when you do this, you hit the AF/AE button and it focuses and locks both AF & AE. You then depress the shutter to take the shot. This is good because if you forget that you had the AF/AE lock/hold engaged, you are reminded when the half press on the shutter DOESN'T give you a focus beep and display of the focus area.

Last edited by dnas; Sep 18, 2010 at 7:52 PM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 3:43 PM   #3

Thanks so much dnas. I'll print that out and study it carefully!
nilescrane is offline   Reply With Quote