Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:51 AM   #1

Default GH2 officially announced!

I guess we all knew it was coming, but Panasonic have finally let the cat out the bag... and a very nice cat it is too

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/popup...lease/gh2.html
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:53 AM   #2

The lenses are all official now too, and it seems that the 100-300 will be more affordable than first feared

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/popup...100300_3D.html
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:58 AM   #3

I'm a little bit desillusionated (have GH1) .. to few new features to buy. Price too high .. perhaps body only available, but also too high.

3D lens also not very convincing :-(

If someone has NO G2/GH1 ... then sure it's a fine camera, but instead .... noooooo.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:42 AM   #4

Default To upgrade, or not upgrade... that is the question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
I'm a little bit desillusionated (have GH1) .. to few new features to buy. Price too high .. perhaps body only available, but also too high.

3D lens also not very convincing :-(

If someone has NO G2/GH1 ... then sure it's a fine camera, but instead .... noooooo.
Firstly, I'm with you on the 3D lens... doesn't do anything for me

Secondly, I was expecting to be rather disappointed with the GH2 announcement... but actually, for once, I'm not.

I bought my GH1 back in March, and I stand by comments I've made before here (and elsewhere) that it is - in my humble opinion - one of the best 'hybrid' cameras money can buy. Having sold all my Canon kit (40D) I opted for the Lumix on the grounds that it offered similar image quality in a much smaller package, allowed me to use the LCD (or excellent EVF) for composition, and also let me shoot video of my kids in stunning high definition. At the time, I could only afford the GH1's relatively high price tag because I had sold my old kit lock, stock and barrel, but for that money I did get myself arguably the best family memory catcher (for stills and movies) and a versatile 'creative' camera to boot.

Whether or not it's worth upgrading is a tricky question, and really only one that can be answered on an individual basis. I've tried to digest the wealth of preliminary information available on the GH2 this morning, and from what I see, there are some significant improvements in the spec sheet.

I'm not particularly interested in iAuto this, or fancy scene setting that, but there are several important enhancements: no blackout during burst shooting (at 3fps); faster autofocus (the GH1 isn't exactly a slouch!); sensitivities up to IS12800, with - hopefully - a nice clean ISO3200; improved 60fps EVF and of course, proper 24Mbps 1080p24. I'm still waiting to see if we'll have the ubiquitous 30mins record time limit here in the UK, but live HDMI preview is something that I didn't expect and am very glad to see.

Ergonomically, I'm really liking the updated look with the leather grip and body texture, and although I'm not that bothered about the touch-screen, I really do like the assignable function buttons and new mode dial(s) - C1, C2 and C3. Yay!

Of course, whether or not any of these improvements are worth the "cost to change" is a different debate, and I'll definitely be waiting to see the in-depth reviews, samples and get some proper hands-on before making any decision. Were I to sell my GH1 body only (and keep the 14-140 lens), I may only have to find 300 or so to upgrade - I think it would be worth it. Were I starting again from scratch, I think I would find it very difficult to justify Panasonic's price.... I'm no Nikon fan, but the D7000 with 18-105 VR lens at 1299 is quite compelling if you can live with the larger, bulkier traditional DSLR handling.

Ultimately, will the GH2 see me part with my cash? Probably, but not right now. I'm skint
Old Sep 21, 2010, 4:51 PM   #5

hehe, a 3D picture from today, made with €129 pocket camera Sanyo PD1
makes also videos with 1920x1080/30, 1280x720/60 and 30 for HALF the Lumix-lens-price

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2010, 5:40 PM   #6

look very interesting. I think this will be a excellent new camera. But I am more excited by the new 100-300mm. Hope it is price to be affordable.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
look very interesting. I think this will be a excellent new camera. But I am more excited by the new 100-300mm. Hope it is price to be affordable.
Very interested in this too (and the 14mm pancake).

I've yet to see UK pricing, but I read $599 earlier.... I'd been hoping for less than 500. I guess we shall see what the 'street price' is soon enough
Old Sep 21, 2010, 6:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Whether or not it's worth upgrading is a tricky question, and really only one that can be answered on an individual basis. I've tried to digest the wealth of preliminary information available on the GH2 this morning, and from what I see, there are some significant improvements in the spec sheet.

I'm not particularly interested in iAuto this, or fancy scene setting that, but there are several important enhancements: no blackout during burst shooting (at 3fps); faster autofocus (the GH1 isn't exactly a slouch!); sensitivities up to IS12800, with - hopefully - a nice clean ISO3200; improved 60fps EVF and of course, proper 24Mbps 1080p24. I'm still waiting to see if we'll have the ubiquitous 30mins record time limit here in the UK, but live HDMI preview is something that I didn't expect and am very glad to see.
If you are concerned about some of the "limitataions" of your GH1, you should take a look at the famous "G13" firmware hack for the GH1!!! It addresses:

1. GH1's 17Mbps, with bit rates up to 40-50Mbps at 1080p24 (plus others!!)
2. Removal of the 30 minute video limit.
3. Use of 3rd party battery.

This would extend the capabilities and "life" of your GH1.

Last edited by dnas; Sep 22, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
If you are concerned about some of the "limitataions" of your GH1, you should take a look at the famous "G13" firmware hack for the GH1!!! It addresses:

1. GH1's 17Mbps, with bit rates up to 40-50Mbps at 1080p24 (plus others!!)
2. Removal of the 30 minute video limit.
3. Use of 3rd party battery.

This would extend the capabilities and "life" of your GH1.
LOL! Cheers dnas, but I have no concerns over the GH1's "limitations".... my own limitations have more of an impact on my work

I'm more than well aware of the hack, but I have never applied it, and have deliberately kept quite here (and more so on other boards) about it. Things have obviously moved on now, but in the early stages there were a lot of comments over at dvxuser how this didn't work and that didn't work, or the camera froze, or wouldn't play back the footage in camera, or there were card errors etc.etc... I very much like the idea of getting the 'best' out of the GH1 that I could, but I wasn't happy to sacrifice reliability over it. Yes, stable firmware seems to be available now, but I just don't see the point, for me at least, right now.

Perhaps I was overly cautious, and too, er, chicken, to risk 'bricking' my 1k camera (it is my only camera after all). But, I took comfort in the knowledge that, no matter how brilliant it is - and Kudos to Vitaly for his work on this and the pressure he's put/putting on Panasonic - the hack is one of those things that's simply not necessary. It makes absolutely zero difference to the photographic capability of the GH1, and I was already very happy with the video quality I was getting at 720p - significantly better than what I got from my DV camcorder. Yes, I know if I were to hack my GH1, it would be even better....

Forum-feeders elsewhere seem to be moaning about the GH2 bit-rate already, which I have to say, I find really frustrating.... it's not all about the bit-rate!! Professional AVCHD camcorders top out at 24Mbps, so why should the GH2 go higher..? Vitaly's hack utilised a higher bit-rate to get around the technical limitations of the GH1, and I'm sure he'll hack the GH2 as well, however I'm confident that with the increased 'system' speed, additional processing power and new sensor tech, that the video quality of the GH2 will be significantly better than the GH1 at 1080. Of course, that won't please everybody

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the GH1 was arguably the best 'family' memory catcher (stills and video), and a great 'creative' tool to boot too To all intents and purposes, the GH2 only serves to raise that bar even further.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:53 AM   #10

The 100-300mm looks like a real nice lens. It should be priced around $400 (that's what Oly charged for the Zuiko 70-300mm when it was first released and that's a great lens as well). If not, then I'll have to wait!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote