Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 22, 2010, 8:37 PM   #1

Default panasonic G2 battery gotcha

Please note if you are considering a Panasonic DMC-G2 that there is some very unclear information about which battery/batteries are acceptible to use with the camera. (e.g. for buying a backup or replacement battery)

If you look at Amazon's website and B&H's website, both indicate that the DMW-BLB13 is the battery to use. If you look at Panasonic's website, it is not clear which battery to use.

When I bought my G2, I also looked around for options for the DMW-BLB13; #2 on Amazon's website is the Lenmar DLPBLB13. I've had good luck with Lenmar batteries in the past, so I bought their DLPBLB13. When it arrived, I charged it up, put it in my camera, checked to see that it powered up charged, and went off to go on a hike and take pictures. Here's what happens after you turn it on for about 12 seconds:

If you already own a DMC-G2 and you look at the battery, you'll note that it is a DMW-BLB13PP (note the PP suffix). If you don't own a DMC-G2, the only way to find this out is apparently to go to the trouble of finding the manual for the Panasonic DMC-G2, which is not very easy to do, and which says:

Quote:
The camera has a function for distinguishing batteries which can be used safely. The dedicated battery (DMW-BLB13PP) supports this function. The only batteries suitable for use with this unit are genuine Panasonic products and batteries manufactured by other companies and certified by Panasonic. (Batteries which do not support this function cannot be used). Panasonic cannot in any way guarantee the quality, performance or safety of batteries which have been manufactured by other companies and are not genuine Panasonic products.
My Lenmar battery is going back to Amazon, but I still don't quite know where to get a backup DMW-BLB13PP battery. B&H doesn't carry it (they have the DMW-BLB13), and if you look for DMW-BLB13PP on Amazon, you get links to 3rd-party manufacturers' equivalents (including the "SterlingTek POWWER DMW-BLB13PP"), and the Panasonic DMW-BLB13, but not the Panasonic DMW-BLB13PP.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by arghman; Sep 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:43 PM   #2

I bought 2 batteries from this seller on ebay, and they DEFINITELY work in a Panasonic G2 !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Battery-Panas...item483aa14827
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
I bought 2 batteries from this seller on ebay, and they DEFINITELY work in a Panasonic G2 !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Battery-Panas...item483aa14827
oh, dear -- having been burned by a reputable well-known battery vendor, at this point I have no interest in taking the ebay route... or for that matter, any route other than buying a genuine OEM battery.

Thanks though.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:12 AM   #4

Ok, please yourself......

These were only $16, work perfectly, and at that price, I didn't see any risk!!!
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:07 PM   #5

You have a point. But I'm traveling to New Zealand on a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and I can't afford to use an unreliable battery. US$45 is cheap for that assurance. (that's what Amazon is charging for the DMW-BLB13, I'm assuming the BLB13PP would cost about the same)

I just don't know where I'm supposed to obtain an extra Panasonic DMW-BLB13PP.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 6:25 PM   #6

I've looked at the original battery for the G2, and I can't tell the difference between it, and the G1, GH1 or GF1.

... I may have accidentally switched the battery when charging, but that means that any of the G1, GH1 or GF1 will work in the G2.

I can check again later, if you like.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 5:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghman View Post
I've had good luck with Lenmar batteries in the past, so I bought their DLPBLB13.
I, too, use Lenmar batteries in my FZ30 and agree that they are good batteries. But the FZ30 doesn't require chipped batteries. Unfortunately for you, the G2 requires chipped batteries and the Lenmar equivalent isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghman View Post
I still don't quite know where to get a backup DMW-BLB13PP battery. B&H doesn't carry it (they have the DMW-BLB13), and if you look for DMW-BLB13PP on Amazon, you get links to 3rd-party manufacturers' equivalents (including the "SterlingTek POWWER DMW-BLB13PP"), and the Panasonic DMW-BLB13, but not the Panasonic DMW-BLB13PP.
The PP suffix indicates a Panasonic product intended for the North American market. Some products differ by region (e.g., languages supported, NTSC or PAL video). But there is no difference in batteries (other than, perhaps, the Electrical Specification icons printed on the back) so if you order a DMW-BLB13 from a reputable store, you should be fine.

Last edited by rschofield; Sep 28, 2010 at 5:38 PM. Reason: clarifying chipped battery requirement of G2
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:29 AM   #8

Default error message

just received two Pearstone DMW-BLB13 batteries from B&H ... both are giving the error message ... will be calling b&h when they reopen ...
santasimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:00 PM   #9

Panasonic introduced a battery check in firmware 1.3 for the G1. Every m4/3 camera released after that has the check in F/W. The check prevents the usage of any non-Panasonic battery on those m4/3 cameras. For those G1 owners who have not upgraded the F/W, there is a version of the 1.4 on the web which does not contain the batt check (Panasonic released it by mistake then pulled it out, fixed the code and re-released it).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:18 PM   #10

As I mentioned earlier, the vendor that I purchased batteries from on ebaywork perfectly in G1, GH1, GF1 & G2.
Buy OEM batteries if you don't want to do it this way, but I am quite happy with them......