Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:31 PM   #11

Then Panasonic's response was a bit misleading. In fact, if you flip the lens switch to "off," then IS is off. If you flip the switch to "on," then IS is on. So the switch DOES work when using the older lens on the G2, but all other control of the IS is done via the menu. Thanks for giving it a try, dnas!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Then Panasonic's response was a bit misleading. In fact, if you flip the lens switch to "off," then IS is off. If you flip the switch to "on," then IS is on. So the switch DOES work when using the older lens on the G2, but all other control of the IS is done via the menu. Thanks for giving it a try, dnas!
Yes, I suspect that the Panasonic contact didn't try it themselves.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:07 PM   #13

and so am i. not sure why you thought i wasn't my gf1 came with the 14-45 lens, which is pretty darn nice - sharp, clear and responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I think the OP is talking about m4/3 lenses, not 4/3. The first two Panasonic m4/3 cameras (G1 and GF1 came with a 14-45mm m4/3 lens. Then Panasonic replaced the kit lens on their second generation cameras (G10/G2) to a 14-42mm lens w/o the OIS switch (as the OP mentioned, the IS is set via the menu). So, nothing related to the 4/3 system.

OP, you raised some very good questions regarding the IS operation on the G2 with the old 14-45mm m4/3 lens. I find the IS implementation on the G10/G2 to be very different than any other IS system. If I had to guess how IS would work on the G2 with the old kit lens, I'd say that the OIS switch on the lens should be turned ON and the menu should also indicate that IS is switch ON. If the OIS on the lens is off, then IS will not work since the camera cant' communicate that information with the lens.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:11 AM   #14

Default Which Lens To Keep?

My G3 with 14-42 lens preorder from Amazon will be delivered tomorrow. I have a G2 with 14-45 lens and plan to sell the G2 and one of the lenses.

I need some thoughts on whether I should sell the slightly used 14-45 and keep the new 14-42.

Thx.

Stan
gostan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:21 AM   #15

The best thing to do is to take some pictures with both lenses and compare the results. Keep the one producing better images.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
The best thing to do is to take some pictures with both lenses and compare the results. Keep the one producing better images.
Tullio, such a logical answer....why didn't I think of that. That is exactly what i will do over this weekend. Thx!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:04 AM   #17

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing the results!
Tullio

Just got home from work here in Boston and unpacked the G3. Raining outside right now, but I took a few pics inside, but will need to take more pics tomorrow in order to confirm my Initial thoughts that the 14-45 appears to produce a bit sharper results. I will also have to figure out how to post some pictures here.

But, there is no doubt at all that the 14-45 build quality is far superior to the 14-42. When I grip the lens to zoom, there is a much more solid and tactile feel to the 14-45 versus the 14-42. I think the new kit lens will go on eBay with my G2.

I will have to get used to the smaller grip on the G3, but the G3 is definitely svelte and focuses faster. More tomorrow.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post

Just got home from work here in Boston and unpacked the G3. Raining outside right now, but I took a few pics inside, but will need to take more pics tomorrow in order to confirm my Initial thoughts that the 14-45 appears to produce a bit sharper results ...

... But, there is no doubt at all that the 14-45 build quality is far superior to the 14-42. When I grip the lens to zoom, there is a much more solid and tactile feel to the 14-45 versus the 14-42 ...
So, do the OIS and the AF and the MF functionalities all work OK with your Lumix Vario G 14-45mm mounted on your DMC-G3?

I am considering purchasing the 14-45mm to mount on a DMC-G3 body. This Panasonic document (may) imply that the answer to the above questions is YES:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste...stem_chart.pdf

- but reading a report regarding your actual hands-on experience in these matters would be most appreciated !

Thanks in advance for your response !

Last edited by Detail Man; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
Detail Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:35 PM   #20

Yes.
The older lens is just fine on the G3.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote