Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1

Default Panasonic 14-42 vs. 14-45

Yes, I've read the reviews that say the new 14-42mm micro four-thirds kit lens isn't as good as the older 14-45mm lens - particularly in the areas of sharpness and build quality.

So here are my questions for anyone who's worked with both lenses:

Are there any upsides to the new 14-42 lens? Perhaps the lighter weight means faster focus? Anything?

If I were to, say, buy a new camera like the G2 and then buy the older 14-45 lens separately, will the OIS switch on the older lens still work, even though cameras like the G2 move that function to the menu system? Conversely, does the menu system control the OIS on-off function on the older lens? Does one have a choice in deciding whether to use the switch or menu?

Are there any downsides to combining the older 14-45 lens with the latest-generation G-series MFT cameras from Panasonic?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:34 PM   #2

there's no disadvantage i've heard of to pairing the 14-45 lens with any panasonic m4/3 camera. i love my 14-45 on my gf1, but i've seen good pics taken with it on a lot of m4/3 cameras.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
there's no disadvantage i've heard of to pairing the 14-45 lens with any panasonic m4/3 camera. i love my 14-45 on my gf1, but i've seen good pics taken with it on a lot of m4/3 cameras.
I think the OP is talking about m4/3 lenses, not 4/3. The first two Panasonic m4/3 cameras (G1 and GF1 came with a 14-45mm m4/3 lens. Then Panasonic replaced the kit lens on their second generation cameras (G10/G2) to a 14-42mm lens w/o the OIS switch (as the OP mentioned, the IS is set via the menu). So, nothing related to the 4/3 system.

OP, you raised some very good questions regarding the IS operation on the G2 with the old 14-45mm m4/3 lens. I find the IS implementation on the G10/G2 to be very different than any other IS system. If I had to guess how IS would work on the G2 with the old kit lens, I'd say that the OIS switch on the lens should be turned ON and the menu should also indicate that IS is switch ON. If the OIS on the lens is off, then IS will not work since the camera cant' communicate that information with the lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:03 PM   #4

I have just e-mailed Panasonic with these same questions. We'll see what they have to say in a few days.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:34 PM   #5

Well, I've already received a response from Panasonic. Here it is in its entirety:

"Thank you for your inqury.The Panasonic DMC-G2 is mounted with a different lens than the DMC-G1, the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 with the model number H-FS014042. This has a 3x zoom rather than the 14-45mm H-FS014045 with a 3.2x zoom on the DMC-G1. The new lens lacks an O.I.S. switch, but it still has optical image stabilization built in; only now it's controlled from the Panasonic G2's menu. The OIS switch on the H-FS014045 when mounted on the DMCG2 the image stabilizer is also controlled through the camera menu thus nullifying the OIS button on the lens. We hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for contacting Panasonic."

Well, this didn't answer nearly all of my questions... but the point is, even with the old lens, on the G2 you still control OIS via the menu. Pansonic did not mention if you should leave the switch on the older 14-45mm lens in the "on" or "off" position... or even if it matters. Perhaps it doesn't matter, given the camera menu is "nullifying" the lens switch. There you have it.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:58 PM   #6

It might matter, as there is the is a physical connect is in the open position. Also if you mounted that lens on a oly body, the the ois work all the time, so that you need to turn of the ibis? And what controls the ois if mounted to a G1, GH1 or GF1 for backward compatibility. Wish they did answer your questions in more details.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 14, 2010 at 5:51 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:48 PM   #7

So, the question remains...should the lens OIS be switched ON or OFF when the lens is used on the G2? You might want to send Pana this question. I think it should be switched ON but perhaps it does not matter.

Tullio
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
So, the question remains...should the lens OIS be switched ON or OFF when the lens is used on the G2? You might want to send Pana this question. I think it should be switched ON but perhaps it does not matter.
I will give this a try this as I have BOTH the G2 and the older 14-45mm lens.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Ok, here is the way it works, as I've tried it on my G2.

If the lens doesn't have a switch, you can choose Stabilizer:
On/Off,
mode 1,
mode 2,
mode 3.

If the lens has a switch you can only choose:
mode 1,
mode 2,
mode 3.

On/Off is not an option, so you need to turn the switch on if you want the Stabilizer.

Last edited by dnas; Oct 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 1:24 PM   #10

That matches my thoughts.

Tullio