Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:39 PM   #1

Default Legacy Glass; Four Fifties Compared

Here are the results of some quick tests I did. So far I haven't found anything that's as good as the Panasonic or Olympus digital glass and that includes those furnished in the kits too.. In theses tests the Minolta Rokkors and Nikon Series E look pretty good and still are pretty cheap on fleabay. I like the little Nikon Series E because it's very compact and light but the focus and aperture rings turn opposite what I am used to. Both of the Minoltas I checked would be good choices.

I included samples of the Panasonic 20mm and 45-200mm for comparison.
Attached Images

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:37 PM   #2

The main problem I've found is: camera cannot get an accurate auto white balance from old lenses. But why WB is so different between the Panasonic 20 and 45-200?
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:56 AM   #3

I can't explain that. I used AF and AWB for both of those tests under the same lighting.

Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:19 PM   #4

People say old lenses have different coatings than the newer DSLR lenses, therefore the camera gets a different wb; if that's the cause then how could Panny M4/3 lenses have so different coatings?
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 5:58 AM   #5

I see that I shot the tests with a Nikon Skylight filter attached to the 45-200.

Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
The main problem I've found is: camera cannot get an accurate auto white balance from old lenses. But why WB is so different between the Panasonic 20 and 45-200?
I can understand some of the issues related to MF lenses because in reality, there is absolutely no communication between the lens and the body so that could influence the camera's ability to make internal adjustments to things like WB and exposure. Now, some of the color differences between lenses is due to coating, for sure. The poorest the coating, the more prone to creating over exposed images, show flares and washed out pictures the lens is.

The fact that the OP had a filter mounted on the 45-200mm could easily explain the difference in color tone between it and the 20mm. But let's also keep in mind that the two lenses are radically different in every aspect but particularly in terms of lens elements and that has the greatest influence in IQ.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote