Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:05 PM   #1

Default Just Pulled the Trigger on a G1

I just pulled the trigger on a leftover Panasonic G1 at $499 on Amazon. Ever since losing my Olympus E-PL1, it's been bugging me that my Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens has been sitting around with no camera to work on. And I had been waiting to see what the next round of micro four-thirds products would be like.

The new Panasonic G series is certainly nice, but the upgrades aren't that compelling for me and the sensor in the G2 and G10 is the same one that's in the G1. The GH2 is barely out yet and the GH1 with the 14-140mm lens is still just under $1000 - more money than I want to spend right now.

It's true that the new G10 is about $50-$60 cheaper than the leftover G1. But I opted for the older camera for three reasons: its much better built-in electronic viewfinder, its articulating LCD and the older 14-45mm lens, which is markedly better than the new 14-42mm lens on the new G series. Even if I buy other micro four-thirds cameras in the future, I'll have the 14-45mm lens to use on them.

The price of the E-PL1 has fallen since I bought mine and I could have picked one up for about the same price as the G1. And the E-PL1 offers great jpg processing and maybe the best high ISO performance in the world of micro four-thirds. So why didn't I get another one? Because the optional $259 VF-2 electronic viewfinder is a must with the E-PL1... I found I could barely even frame subjects with the E-PL1's rear LCD in bright sunlight. What's more, the E-PL1 with the VF-2 on board is bigger than the G1.

There are rumors about rangefinder-style micro four-thirds cameras with built-in viewfinders from both Panasonic and Olympus next year. If those cameras become reality, I may very well buy one. But because I have the G1 now, I won't have to wait for them in frustration and I can even wait for the prices to fall a bit after they come out.

Meanwhile, the G1 gets me back into micro four-thirds photography right now, with a top-notch viewfinder, at a friendly price. And I already have the fast, normal prime to go with it.

Last edited by Biro; Oct 23, 2010 at 3:18 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:53 PM   #2
Super Moderator

congrats. the G1 is a nice kit with a nice EVF. glad you are able to get back to shooting the m4/3, that 20 1.7 is an awesome lens, i am loving mine.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3

I have the G1 (and the EPL1, which I haven't returned) and IMO the G1 is a better overall camera. The EPL1 is smaller and handles high ISO better but as you pointed out, the EVF and articulated high-res LCD really makes a huge difference. I haven't seen the new Lumix 14-42mm but again IMO the 14-45 is superior than the Oly 14-42. You made the right decision.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4

Congrats, like any camera, work within it's limit and is will produce fine photo. Just use long exposure for not moving subject on low light shots.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Determine what bothers you the most...noise or softness and then adjust NR accordingly. The G1 at NR 0 produces slightly soft images for my taste so I knock it down to -1 or even -2 as I prefer sharper images out of the camera and then deal with the noise in PP. Some people prefer the other way around.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6

Panasonic has generally tolerated a bit more noise in its processing in order to preserve more detail. I remember there were some complaints when the G1 first came out about too much noise from about ISO 800 on up and a firmware update added a bit more NR at default settings. No biggie. I'll play around and see if I can find the right in-camera balance. If not, I'll decide which I prefer to tweak in PP - sharpness or NR. Thanks for the feedback, it'll be fun being back with the MFT crowd.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7

The G1 should be good to 1250 with some tweaking and PP NR. I seen some decent results form it up there. It does have a very smart design swivel lcd. Make for tripod work ease.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:29 AM   #8

My G1 has been sitting unused for about a year - too busy with the GF-1 and Leica X1.

I picked it up again last week and had completely forgotten what a nice camera it is and how useful the swivel back can be. I was just too intoxicated by the GF-1
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:15 PM   #9

I just picked up the Panasonic 45-200mm lens for my G1 today. So I now have the G1 body, the Lumix 14-45mm, the 45-200mm telephoto and the 20mm f/1.7 pancake lenses. Along with my new Lowepro bag, my micro four-thirds kit should suffice for a while. I'll consider the F-360 flash unit, but I'm in no hurry. We'll see how often there are situations when I wish I had it.

I don't imagine I'll be adding much, if anything, before the 2011 round of MFT cameras is announced by Panasonic and Olympus. I'm still hoping one or both will bring out a rangefinder-type MFT camera with a built-in viewfinder. Way down the road (like a year or more), depending on what else comes to market, a GH2 is a possibility. Then the G1 could become a gift to a younger relative.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:17 PM   #10

If you shot macro at time, you can greatly improve the 45-200's close up ability by adding the canon 500D close up lens in 52mm thread.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...e-up-lens.html