Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:53 AM   #11

Just curious but what are the benefits of m4/3 over a full DSLR? Does the smaller sensor mean that lenses are smaller and cheaper or is there some other reason?
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:14 AM   #12

Weight and size.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:50 AM   #13

I was keeping track of a GH1 body only on Amazon and last night the price dropped from $599 to $499, so I bought one. It is not sold by Amazon but it is fulfilled by Amazon (qualify for Prime as well) and it is covered by Amazon's return policy (not the seller). So, nothing to loose! I'm excited about it as I believe the GH1 has been the best m4/3 camera to date (I haven't read much about the GH2 but the price difference between the two is just incredible). In my case, I already have the 14-45mm and 45-200mm, so it makes a lot of sense to get the GH1 body. However, at this price, I think it's worth it even if you don't have any m4/3 lens. eBay has the Pana 14-42mm m4/3 for $160 (buy it now), so the combo would cost you $660. I think it's a better deal than the G2, which will come with the same exact lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Congrats Tullio. I think that is the cam you have been looking for the whole time, and agree that it is a better buy than a G2 at the same price.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:08 PM   #15

Tullio let me know how it works out for you. I've read there were some problems with bad lens mounts and strap lugs breaking but otherwise mostly positive statements.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:27 PM   #16

Congrats, Tullio! If I already had a 14-45mm lens, I would have gone for the GH1 body myself instead of the G1 kit at the same price. Great deal either way.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:59 PM   #17

Thanks y'ol!

Dustin - yes, I've always wanted the GH1 but the cost was way too high. Now, I could finally afford it. I hope it will not disappoint me!

Clint, the nice thing about this deal is that if something is wrong with the lens mount, it goes right back. As for the strap, it is certainly a problem. It would be nice if there was one of those half-cases available for the EPn. It would take care of the problem.

Tullio
Old Oct 27, 2010, 5:31 AM   #18

Congrats on the GH1 Tullio... very nice price, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Never had a strap, lug or lens mount issue with mine (touch wood) – the other night I slapped on the Canon FD 100-300 lens, 2x Vivitar TC (plus FD-m4/3 adaptor of course), and whilst I didn't mean to leave the lens unsupported, nothing snapped or broke when I 'forgot' it wasn't the 14-140 attached (touch wood again!!). I reckon that combo is about 1kg and pushing the limits of the mount, but thankfully it lived to see another day

Last edited by mrmacmusic; Oct 27, 2010 at 5:35 AM.
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSykes View Post
Just curious but what are the benefits of m4/3 over a full DSLR? Does the smaller sensor mean that lenses are smaller and cheaper or is there some other reason?
Micro 4/3 has exactly the same sized sensor as Olympus DSLRs, and it's only around 25% smaller than APS-C sensors used in Nikon/Canon/Pentax/Sony DSLRs.

It's the distance from lens to sensor that is different (around half) and as such, the lenses and the camera can be smaller.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Congrats on the GH1 Tullio... very nice price, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Never had a strap, lug or lens mount issue with mine (touch wood) – the other night I slapped on the Canon FD 100-300 lens, 2x Vivitar TC (plus FD-m4/3 adaptor of course), and whilst I didn't mean to leave the lens unsupported, nothing snapped or broke when I 'forgot' it wasn't the 14-140 attached (touch wood again!!). I reckon that combo is about 1kg and pushing the limits of the mount, but thankfully it lived to see another day
Thanks. After I bought the camera, I found out about this strap lug problem (of course these things always happen after the fact, right?!?). Anyway, I THEN started doing some research on this problem and from what I gathered, the screw that holds the lug from the inside comes loose over time and eventually the lug comes out loose. One indication that the screw is getting loose is that the lug can wiggle. If the lug is tight (like it is on my G1), you should be OK. Still, I wish I could find one of those half leather cases (like the ones for the EP1/2 available on eBay). That would solve the problem nicely.

BTW, Amazon no longer has the GH1 body for that price. The same seller has one left for $599 and it is not fulfilled by Amazon. So, I guess I did do good!

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Oct 27, 2010 at 9:22 AM.