Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 7, 2010, 9:48 PM   #1

Default which panasonic model?

I had pretty much decided on the oly 4/3 camera, now confusing myself by reading so many reviews!! I even went back and checked to see if any dslr's out there smaller than my canon xsi, but not by much if any. There seems to be several Panasonic models, G this and G that and 1 and 2 and I can't keep them straight! Do any of you guys that have these have a preference and do any of them have a good viewfinder already on it?
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:55 PM   #2

Only the current GF1 doesn't have an EVF built in.

All of the others do (G1, GH1, G2, G10, GH2).

The G1 is the original (and first in September 2008) micro 4/3 camera. It is also the only one that doesn't have video.

Six months later came the GH1, which was the premium camera, similar to the G1, but with full HD video.
Another 6 months later came the GF1, whcih was the first compact model, without built in EVF. The GF2 has been announced this week, as a smaller replacement, but will probably ship in Jan/Feb.

Another 6 months later (March 2010), came the G2 (replacing the G1, but with touchscreen and HD video), and the G10, which is a cut down, cheaper version with a sub par EVF(I wouldn't both with that one).

The last one that's available is the GH2, which is the GH1 replacement, with better video & sensor, along with a touchscreen like the G2.

All of these aside from the GF1, are a similar size.

And all of them have an exceptional built in EVF, except the G10, and the GF1 doesn't have one.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3

Thank you dnas for clearing these up. I think it was the GH2 that I tried to find on the Panasonic website, but didn't show up. And the lens for these are small like the oly epl1,right? Thanks so much.
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:27 PM   #4

The GH2 has the best evf on the market, but the camera has not shipped yet. And it is the most expensive m4/3 on the market.

The G1, G2, G10 and GH1 all have evf, but no were as nice as GH2 evf. And these camera do not perform as well at higher iso pass 1250. Where the GH2 with the new sensor looks pretty good upto 3200iso.

GF1 and GF2 you can add the optional evf for about 180 dollars, it is about the same as the G1, G2 and GH1, and much better then the G10. G10 has the smallest evf of the lot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 12:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The G1, G2, G10 and GH1 all have evf, but not were as nice as GH2 evf.

GF1 and GF2 you can add the optional evf for about 180 dollars, it is about the same as the G1, G2 and GH1, and much better then the G10. G10 has the smallest evf of the lot.
These are NOT accurate statements here.

It implies that the GH2 EVF is much superior to ALL of the G1, G2, G10 and GH1. It is only marginally better than the G1, G2 & GH1. All of the G1, G2, GH1 & GH2 all have brilliant EVFs.

And the external DMW-LVF1 is NOT "about the same as the G1, G2 and GH1".

For the record, the G-series EVFs have the following:

1,440,000 dots: G1, GH1, G2
1,560,000 dots: GH2
202,000 dots: G10
202,000 dots: DMW-LVF1 (external EVF for the GF1, and probably GF2)
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
These are NOT accurate statements here.

It implies that the GH2 EVF is much superior to ALL of the G1, G2, G10 and GH1. It is only marginally better than the G1, G2 & GH1. All of the G1, G2, GH1 & GH2 all have brilliant EVFs.....
They do indeed, but I also thought it worth pointing out that the system/sensor readout speed has been doubled with the GH2 this means that the GH2 is the only G-series model where the EVF (and LCD) is fed directly with a 60fps signal. This is a big difference (up from a 24fps feed I believe), and will significantly improve the viewing experience, particularly with the field-sequential readout of the EVF.

Naturally, I've not put my eye to one myself yet, but that's the specs I've read
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 5:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
They do indeed, but I also thought it worth pointing out that the system/sensor readout speed has been doubled with the GH2 this means that the GH2 is the only G-series model where the EVF (and LCD) is fed directly with a 60fps signal. This is a big difference (up from a 24fps feed I believe), and will significantly improve the viewing experience, particularly with the field-sequential readout of the EVF.

Naturally, I've not put my eye to one myself yet, but that's the specs I've read
That's true, I tried the GH2 a few times, and the refresh is fast....
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:27 AM   #8

actually the GH2 is superior to the rest, it uses the highest evf on the market. The one by emerson. None of the other evf has that kind of resolution or speed. So it is really not misleading.

Last edited by shoturtle; Nov 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
actually the GH2 is superior to the rest, it uses the highest evf on the market. The one by emerson. None of the other evf has that kind of resolution or speed. So it is really not misleading.
You said this:

"GF1 and GF2 you can add the optional evf for about 180 dollars, it is about the same as the G1, G2 and GH1, and much better then the G10. G10 has the smallest evf of the lot."

It not correct, so it's misleading.....

1,440,000 dots: G1, GH1, G2
202,000 dots: G10
202,000 dots: DMW-LVF1 (external EVF for the GF1, and probably GF2)
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:28 PM   #10

The GH2 is the best, which is correct. The GF1 I was mistaken on resolution compare to the other. But it is still tiny.