Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:19 AM   #1

Default Finally the right place to ask about GF1

Sorry, but I kept posting this in the wrong sections....anyway, I've been seeing very good deals on the GF1 (I assume in anticipation of the GF2 release?) and am seriously considering moving up to it from my current FZ35. Can somebody please give me the quick pros and cons of the GF1? Thank you!!!
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:50 AM   #2

I don't have the GF1 but I do have the G1 and the Oly EPL1, both micro 4/3 cameras. The EPL1 is in most aspects, the closest of the two to the GF1 so my comments will be based on it. The pros of these cameras are certainly the better IQ due to a much larger sensor than the ones used by all P&S models and portability. The cons are the fact that they do not have an EVF and lenses are expensive. In your case, in order to obtain the equivalent reach you have with the FZ35, you'd have to buy a 300mm lens. Right now, there are two options: 1) buy the old Zuiko (Olympus) 70-300mm + a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter (the combo will cost you over $400); or 2) buy the brand new Panasonic 100-300mm (going for $599). As you can see, the options are not cheap ones. The GF1 has a much better LCD than the EPL1, which is a big plus considering that there is no EVF. It has a BI flash but it's on the weak side. However, it's good enough for small places. Due to its larger sensor, the GF1 handles high ISO better than the FZ35.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3

Tullio, thank you so much for your inputs!!! I have several lenses from my old 35mm film days, so I thought I would get an adapter and start with those. Eventually I'll save up and start buying new lenses. Personally, I don't use the EVF, so that doesn't bother me.

Both Amazon and Samy's have the GF1 body for $299 (free shipping!) so it's hard to pass it up. I'll probably get it and worry about the lens later.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4

NP. Understand that all the old lenses you have will not AF. What brand are they? You need to make sure you buy the proper adapter(s) based on their mounts. I agree, $299 for the GF1 body is indeed an attractive price.

Tullio
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5

Yes, I realize I have to focus the "old fashioned" way..... But I'm old enough to remember how
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:42 PM   #6

I posted a separate thread in this forum a few weeks ago, about whether it made any sense to add a GF1 to my micro four-thirds kit... having just picked up a brand-new leftover G1 for $399. The $299 deal for a GF1 body-only at Samy's was enough to clinch it for me. I didn't even have to buy any lenses. I expect image quality will be roughly the same as the G1. Some users report high-ISO noise is just a bit better-controlled in the GF1 but I suspect there won't be much difference. Still, the more-compact body will be useful at times... especially with pancake lenses. Plus, I'll have 720p HD video capability.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:19 PM   #7

IQ between the GF1 and G1 is pretty much identical. The differences are mainly the EVF and swivel LCD on the G1 but not on the GF1 and of course, the body size.

Tullio
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:18 AM   #8

I read bad reviews for Samy's Camera on resellerratings.com so is it safe to buy the $299 body from Amazon?
sebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:03 AM   #9

Did you check B&H Photo ?
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebek View Post
I read bad reviews for Samy's Camera on resellerratings.com so is it safe to buy the $299 body from Amazon?
Because the item is not being fulfilled by Amazon, you'll have to deal directly with the retailer in case something goes wrong. However, my experience with Amazon has been nothing but extremely positive with regards to situations like this. Amazon generates a tremendous amount of traffic and businesses to other retailers. It is in those retailers' best interest to do business the right way so they won't be blocked from selling on Amazon. Thus, they will resolve any issues you may have and if they don't, you open a dispute with Amazon and they will intervene and assist. If that's what you want, I'd go ahead and buy it. Amazon will take care of you one way or another.

Tullio