Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:05 AM   #1

Default gf1 vs. epl1 IQ & AF

I really need to stop reading reviews I guess. I read the gf1 will focus much faster than the epl1 . Is this really the case? Also, is there much difference in IQ between these two? I absolutely plan on ordering today or tomorrow from Amazon, in fact am going to look a couple places on shopping trip this afternoon and see if can find them. Thanks
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2

That was in the past, oly will AF almost as fast as the GF1 with the firmware update. Also if you use the oly msc lenses or the panny lenses, it will focus really fast. The AF issue was resolved back in March.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3

ok thanks shoturtle, have been leaning toward epl1 anyway. I think they have it in stock at Best Buy, headed there this afternoon! Hope they have the viewfinder also, if not will order from Amazon.
sbamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Shoturtle is right that the firmware update did improve the E-PL1's autofocus speed. It's still not quite as fast as the GF1. But the difference appears to have more to do with Oly's lenses than the camera body. The kit lens and some of the other early Oly micro four-thirds lenses just don't focus as fast as the Panasonic lenses. But it appears Oly's newer micro four-thirds lenses do autofocus faster. If you're really concerned about it, you could mount Panasonic's 20mm f/1.7 pancake lens on the E-PL1. It's a great combination.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote