Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:10 AM   #11

Lastly, would T2i perform any better in this scenario?

thanks
amjain10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:00 AM   #12

yes the T2i will do a better job so will any aps-c dslr, so would the olympus 4/3 format.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:16 AM   #13

This is what you can expect with the T2i is a similar setting. It was taken with the 60D at 2000iso.

And this is what you can get at 800iso with a oly 4/3 format. I took it with the epl-1
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/bi...ism-photo.html
Attached Images

Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:12 PM   #14

I think the problem has to do with exposure. You were indoors with limited light and the exposure compensation was -0.66. You should, if nothing else, have Ev 0 (if not +0.3 or even +0.6). Most cameras will produce grainy results if the image is way under exposed.

I changed the metering mode on my G1 to Center Weight. I think the camera exposes a lot better in this mode.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:04 PM   #15

But if that is the effect the OP want. The subject is exposure correctly given the lighting. It is just the shadows that the noise appears. To + EV would change the whole mood of the shot, and over exposure the subject.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:14 PM   #16

The OP did not say anything about effect. The image is totally under exposed. The bright areas of the subject are very dark, far from being over exposed and the dark areas are way too dark, which consequently increases the area where noise is more evident. Increasing the Ev to 0 will not necessarily change the "mood", just expose better and reduce the noise.

Tullio
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:24 PM   #17

but if that is the lighting condition, then it is properly expose. And I look about right on my monitor. The lighting is low, and it does reflex that in the image. Personally I have alway found that all camera then do over expose indoors. Trying to compensate for the lower light level, but that is by design form all the camera companies. All my indoor dance shots are alway to bright as the camera always try to brighten it up if I leave it at 0EV. And I have to always ev down.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:09 PM   #18

Thanks Shoturtle and Tullio! Those pictures look amazing. Do you by any chance remember what the shutter speed was for these(and whether you used a tripod or not).

I will try with different exposure compensation values.

I suspect that T2i may not be all that better under these conditions and it may just be that my expectations are a little much for an entry level DSLR or micro 4/3. I might just have to use a lower ISO with a tripod.
amjain10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:10 PM   #19

We don't know what the OP had in mind and only the OP knows whether the amount of light on the subject is accurate or not. Also, every monitor is different. What may look right on my monitor may look way off on someone else's monitor. The biggest problem shooting indoor is caused by light. You can very easily have your camera lens pointing at a lamp or ceiling light and that will cause the camera to improperly expose.

Tullio
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:16 PM   #20

all these were handheld, and yes for your shooting condition you shot in, the t2i would give you better noise results.

The canon 60D shot was at 3200iso, 1/40's at f10. And it shows less noise the 4/3 format at 1600iso.

The link photo was taken at 800iso, 1/20 at f2.