Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:38 AM   #1

Default GH1 + 100-300 Mockingbird Shots

Got back in the states to be welcomed by the GH1 and a Panasonic 100-300...practiced a little indoors and went out to shoot a few Mockingbirds that are always hanging around in the Juniper Hedges...Film Mode Standard Contrast 0...Sharpness +2...Sat 0...NR -2...Sharpened one click (10%) in Windows Photo Gallery...Cropped for composition...adjusted highlights as required...5 second PP...

I also tried the Canon TC-DC58D on te 100-300 and it could not focus properly or the 100-300 was magnifying the defects in the TC or it was blocking too much light...the photos were dim and extremely soft like they had been taken through a window pane...or worse...

Intitial findings is it is a super birding setup, but could use some reach...does ayone know if the Oly 1.4x TC will AF on the GH1 with the 100-300?

I also tried EZ Zoom ode and didn't achieve any better results than just cropping...

LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2011, 5:36 PM   #2

LTZ - your mockers always look fantastic no matter which camera you pick up! I'm with you, I wish my Olympus 70-300 had just a tad more zoom...
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 9:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
LTZ - your mockers always look fantastic no matter which camera you pick up! I'm with you, I wish my Olympus 70-300 had just a tad more zoom...
Your too kind Saly...thanks...the GH1 sure is fast...accurate...and seems a very good camera...the 100-300 a bit soft though...that 70-300 doesn't have IS though how do you get the shots without camera shake?
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 11:36 PM   #4

Right, the Oly 70-300 is not compatible with the camera IS. I have real trouble holding the camera steady at both ends of the zoom (at close-up/macro using a diopter and at full zoom). It's manageable if there is lots of light.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote