Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Feb 19, 2011, 9:41 AM   #1

Default GH1 vs GH2 vs FZ40 w/ TC-E17ED: Birds in the Park

GH1

FZ40

GH2

GH1

FZ40

GH2
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:50 AM   #2

LTZ - these are all terrific! Which lens are you using with the GH1 and GH2?
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:46 AM   #3

100-300 Panny...thanks for the kind words Saly...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:05 AM   #4

Great work on your part. Now - please don't take this the wrong way - but is it just me... or, in this specific case, are both the GH2 and FZ40 returning better results than the GH1? If looks like sharpness and detail with the GH1 are a bit behind the other two. Perhaps your location when using the GH1 was farther away and there's a lot more magnification or cropping involved? Or maybe I'm seeing things.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biro View Post
Great work on your part. Now - please don't take this the wrong way - but is it just me... or, in this specific case, are both the GH2 and FZ40 returning better results than the GH1? If looks like sharpness and detail with the GH1 are a bit behind the other two. Perhaps your location when using the GH1 was farther away and there's a lot more magnification or cropping involved? Or maybe I'm seeing things.
You are spot on Biro...the GH2 resolves better and the FZ40 with the TC-17 is 1020mm FL and a CCD Sensor that resolves details better...the GH1 is still great...but the GH2 and FZ40 would be my birding picks...really loving the GH2 it's great camera...the GH2 is the smallest professinonal camera on the market..the manual levers for shutter mode...metering mode...mode dial for AF mode...three FN buttons...all are great welcome additions you don't have to take your eye away from the EVF and can tune your camera as you shoot without losing the subject...
FZ40 TC17

GH1

GH2

Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:53 PM   #6

Fantastic work. It doesn't shock me that the GH2 outresolves the GH1, but it's amazing about the FZ40 with that smaller sensor. Just goes to show that a small CCD in good light is still competitive.

I was participating in a discussion on another (Pentax) message board this week about DSLRs and EVILs. The opinion shared by many of us is that while we still plan on buying a K-5... it could very well end up being the last real DSLR that we buy. I already own a G1 kit and have owned the Oly E-PL1. So I'm already down with EVILs and micro four-thirds. But the GH2 is opening the eyes of many photographers about what is possible with MFT. And it's only going to get better.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote