Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:34 PM   #1

Default Testing Out the New Panny 100-300mm Zoom

A quick shot with my new Pansonic 100-300mm zoom on my G1 at Manasquan Inlet, NJ. No post-processing... jpg straight from camera.
Attached Images

Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:42 PM   #2

Despite being quite some distance away, the bird heard the shutter release.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:48 PM   #3

A chilly, windy day in mid March but the professional fishermen and a few hardy enthusiasts were still out.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:54 PM   #4

The jetty at the end of the inlet. Next stop Spain and Portugal.
Attached Images

Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:02 PM   #5

Nice shots and a nice collection of lenses
flaxseedoil1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6

Thanks. I really own more micro four-thirds lenses (and, in fact, at least one more MFT body) than I thought I would at this point. Since I own a fairly extensive Pentax DSLR kit, my move into MFT was a bit of an experiment with a second camera and smaller system.

I owned the Olympus E-PL1 (with VF-2 viewfinder) and then promptly lost it on vacation a month later. I then opted for a brand-new leftover G1 for $399 (low price plus no extra EVF to buy). I decided the 14-45mm and 45-200mm zooms plus the 20mm f/1.7 prime would hold me until I could see how the system would shake out over the next couple of years.

But $299 for a brand-new leftover GF1 body and the siren call of the new 14mm f/2.5 prime were impossible for me to resist. Then, when I developed an interest in wildlife photography, I was put off by the $1000 pricetag on a 150-500mm Sigma zoom for my Pentax K200D (although the lens itself seems to be a fine piece). So I opted for the 100-300mm Panasonic for half the price. I am not disappointed.

That brings us to today... and I really mean to hold off on more MFT equipment (and even Pentax DSLR lenses) until I decide where I stand on MFT for the long haul. So far, it's looking pretty good but you'll notice that none of my Panasonic lenses are the really expensive ones in the $700-$900 range. The 100-300mm, at $500, is the most expensive, the 14-45mm came with the G1, the 45-200mm was $300 and each prime was about $350. That should hold me for some time to come.

Calendar year 2011 should be interesting. Pentax and Nikon may both unveil mirrorless camera systems. So far, I like MFT better than the EVIL/MILC offerings from Sony and Samsung. If Pentax or Nikon don't win me over for mirrorless, then the next decision is whether to keep my Pentax DSLR kit and get the K-5... or commit completely to MFT, sell the Pentax gear and buy a GH2 and the expensive Panasonic lenses. And don't get me started on the Fujifilm X100.

Sorry for droning on like this in response to your short compliment... but I've never felt this tentative about my photo gear before (and I go back to the film days of the 1970s). On the other hand, I'm not sure photo enthusiasts have had this kind of choice in a very long time.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:48 AM   #7
Super Moderator

looking good Biro.

i think you may find yourself staying in mft. the rumors are the pentax will use a small sensor, 5x crop factor or similar to a point shoot size sensor. nikon is rumored to use a sensor smaller than mft as well with a 2.5x crop factor.

MFT has a nice head start in the lens game as well.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:54 AM   #8

yeah the pentax is rumor to be a smaller sensor, guess that is why they have bee doing the 110 thing form the old film days.