Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:05 AM   #11

Here's my story:

All the photos I saw on this forum and others were way too cold and red, green and blue are all too much, they simply did not compare to Olympus. So I went for EPL1, also for its IBIS so I could use cheap old lenses.

Well, EPL1 does produce the colors I wanted, extremely happy with that.

The IBIS however turned out to be BS. First, you have to set the focal length value each and every time before you press the shutter; so this IBIS is practically useless for old zoom lenses that I mainly planed to use. Second, because IBIS is not engaged before you press the shutter, it is way too shaky to get a good focus and composition beyond 70mm. Third, IBIS is not optical and is garbage for video that I also planed to use as much as photos.

My other disappointment is about the size of lenses, even the collapsed 14-42mm is still too large and a fixed 20mm is too limited of reach. So, when I heard about the new ETC feature in Panasonic new cameras, I realized the days of Oly was over - nothing is cooler than a DSLR in a pocket that does both 14mm and 43mm. The only worry was to see if anything could be done to the colors, to be close enough to Oly's.

After a google search, found a thread by Sam Bennett in dpreview forum. From the comparison photos he posted, it was really good enough. And his method is very simple, just few adjustment in AWB, and very practical, no need to change WB all the time. So I pulled the trigger and got the GF2, but prepared to return it if it could not give me the colors I wanted.

The rest of the story is this thread. I still prefer Oly's colors, but as you can see from the photos above, it is absolutely not a deal maker or breaker. For everything else, EPL1/2 is not even a compare to GF1/2.

So far the only time the AWB failed is with a 13W 6000K energy-saving light bulb that I use in my office room. In that case, I had to use manual WB and set the temp value to 6000K.

Here is one to show GF2's skin tone after the A4/G1 tweak:

Last edited by sdcs; Apr 2, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:11 AM   #12

if you want video get the panny, but the oly does shot photos better. You are looking for a video camera that shoots decent photos. Think you found it with the panny system.

And how do you expect the camera to know how much to compensate for a old mf lens if you do not tell the ibis the info. With old prime lenses, it is not a big deal at all. Set it once. Not even an option with the panasonic when using old lenses.

Now with modern lenses without IS, like all the panasonic primes and 4/3 dslr lenses. The ibis works just find. So it is not a garbage system what so every. It works as promised.

I would scale back of the bashing, there is no one prefect camera. And there is a ton of short falls with the panny system also.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 2, 2011 at 12:27 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 12:48 AM   #13

20mm, f2, 1/6, at 800iso. Can not do this with the panny. IBIS was needed and it preformed well.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 2, 2011 at 1:27 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 4:08 AM   #14

Oly has 3 advantages:

1) Colors, very film alike. Panny is still too digital, red is too red, green is too green and blue is too blue. But after the AWB tweak panny is acceptable.

2) Highlight control. But panny's this problem is not always a bad thing to eyes like its colors.

3) High ISO. Panny can do 400 only while oly does 800 and 1600 very well. This can be worked around with faster lenes or longer exposure. How many people and how often they really have to shoot in very low light?

Only #1 was the deal breaker.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:47 AM   #15

people shoot in low light all the time, and the real question is how often do people carry a tripod to shoot the longer exposure when working around at night?

You have been bashing the oly with assessments that are not accurate on the photo aspect. I give that the oly is not as great a HD camera, as they really never did video in the past, so the 720 is limiting. But it is not horrible either. They did use the ep1 to shot part of the movie secrateritit.

Old mf lenses does get the option of IBIS, and it works easier with primes then zooms, but it does work. So that is one of the inaccurate points.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:11 AM   #16

My statement about IBIS was accurate: "this IBIS is practically useless for old zoom lenses"; I did not include prime lenses which to me were too limited for general use. For a 50mm prime that most people use, IS is not so necessary in the first place. And when I really need IS, mostly with long zoom lenses, oly's IBIS IS practically useless: 1) must change the FL value before every shutter; 2) too shaky to focus and compose; 3) MF assist does not go off when half pressed down, must press the zoom button again before shutter, very hassle. Panny did the MF assist right.

IBIS seems like a unique feature, but if you went for it, you'll be disappointed, no matter you use old or new lenses. And it is useless for video, actually it degrades significantly video quality that is already barely HD.

And don't get me started on video. Oly can produce decent video but very difficult to. Panny can always get great video, easy, all needed is pressing the red button. With oly, you always need to change something before you press the red button, such as turning off IBIS, enabling C-AF. You must use the right lenses, you must use MF, you must use a tripod (unless you use a panny lens) and you must use ideal lighting.

The dedicated video button on oly does nothing good other than causing lots of confuses and mistakes. It is poorly located too. The only use is for taking some still shots during filming, but the problem is: video is stopped before the shot and restarted after; so nobody wants to do that.

It is safe to say: as long as you do both photo and video (who doesn't in the era of youtube?), oly can be ignored. The only reason I did not want panny for video was the cold color, disgusting, which has been addressed by this thread. Yes, the A4/G1 trick works the same for both stills and video.

Last edited by sdcs; Apr 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:36 PM   #17

Until you can shoot at 1/6 handheld with the panny. Then we can say the ibis is not affective. But for all the people that i know that shot primes mf lens, it works fine for them. You are just bashing a system you don't seem to fully understand how to use it.

Hd I said, it is not as good as the panny or Sony options. Those company have been at it long and have more experience. So I would expect those be better.

All your things come back on olympus poor hd, but you have not posted anything that shows the panny can produce a photo any where near as good as the oly. We admit the panny is a better hd camcorder.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 2, 2011 at 9:17 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:05 PM   #18

I've always said it clearly: I still prefer oly's colors, no any question about that. However, it is worth it to sacrifice on that, because it is a small sacrifice, especially after I adjust AWB to A+4/M+2. And others are all gain, big gains.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 5:11 PM   #19

the panny with the adjustment does not even come close to the what the oly looks. They look blown out or improperly exposed. And it will be allot of editing to get the blue back into the sky correctly in PP if you shot raw. Not much you can do in jpeg.

The sacrifice with HD for most is not that big, as the main reason people get a camera is photos. The little point and shoots do a nice job on HD, and a camcorder still does a better job. It is more difficult to shoot hd with a dslr or ils camera. Allot more work. And unless you are into video that heavy, most will not spend the time on video editing or the price of top notch video editing programs, with 64bit. And if you are into HD heavy, and pro level camcorder still does a nicer job and easier to used, and have files better suite for editing.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 5, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:36 PM   #20

I'm not heavily into neither photos nor video, I just want a small DSLR that takes easily great both photos and video. The oly is too difficult to get acceptable video; the panny can take acceptable photos. So, the conclution is clear. For those who don't care much about video, of course the choice goes to oly.