Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:03 PM   #21

I'm settled down to these settings: AWB A+2, M+1, Contrast+2, Saturation+2, Sharpness+2, Noise Reduction-2. Still not the oly type of warmness but overall pleasing enough under all conditions I've tested so far. I also tried an 1B coated Skylight filter; it does a perfect job outdoor, but does nothing for indoor 6000K lights.

Last edited by sdcs; Apr 5, 2011 at 5:37 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 6:09 PM   #22

You started with the thread stating real life photo comparison but quickly got onto the video part as your justification to liking the Panny over the Oly. Good for you. I have seen quite a bit done by the EP series cameras as far a video and frankly I don't see what your point is. It is very capable but in your real world assessment not convenient enough for you. That is my take on it. So what. Enjoy your Panny and the lackluster photos it takes. I saw it with my own eyes by your posted comparisons. Unacceptable in my opinion. I get a camera for photos first and use a Kodak Zi8 for video. Quite acceptable to me and no bashing necessary.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 11:54 PM   #23

I owned a Zi8 and a Zx3, both take more clear video than EPL1. The problem about them is: the video is too shaky to watch without getting motion-sick. Let me make it loud and clear: GF2's video trash Zi8 or EPL1. This is nothing bashing but bare fact from my very own experience (about a year now with Zi8 and EPL1).

I think I've made it very clear: I went to panny from oly because of too much troubles with video on oly. The only concern about panny is its colors, so I started this thread, to see if anything can be done about that. The first post was not a conclusion but a start on this issue.

I'm indeed quite angry with oly, its "PEN commercial shot by PEN" made me to believe that I could get that kind of video with an EPL1. Now it's still miss leading potential buyers with the new MSC kit lens so people would think the EPL2 is now really capable of video. Therefore I would make it loud and clear: PEN is not good for video while GF2 simply is!

To be fare, as I already said it, you do can get great video with an EPL1 but very difficult to: you have to do manual focusing, you have to have the ideal lighting condition and you have to use a tripod. In comparison, GF2 can always take perfect 1080i video as easily as you use a Zi8.

Anyway, now I'm very happy and fully satisfied with both video and stills from GF2, after more tweaks (after this thread was posted). Here is one, I don't see anything wrong in it. The second one is captured from 1080p video. Listen, with ETC mode, 45mmx3.1=140mm! Saving me $800 to buy a heavy and large 14-140mm!

Last edited by sdcs; Apr 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:58 AM   #24

Then why are you screaming about HD and bashing the HD, on a post you started about the photo difference in jpeg between the two. Which show the gf2 is not the greatest for jpeg photo even with all your samples and adjustments. If you need to justified the purchased to yourself that the GF2 is the right camera for yourself. Don't post photos of subpar photos next to a camera that produce much better photos without trying on a photo forum. Everyone will key on the fact that none of your adjustments comes close as everyone here are into photos.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:56 PM   #25

I've explained many times about this, even in the first post: it is mainly about color tone. I'm sorry if this somehow offended oly fanboys. I'm not a fanboy of any, oly or panny. I want a panny for only one reason: oly cannot do video. And to me there is only one concern about panny: cold colors.

Did I ever say panny's IQ is better than oly? If not, how am I bashing oly?

I talked about video, only to explain why I bother to deal with panny's cold colors while oly's are already perfect there. It was you who made a big deal about that and forced me to talk more about it. Anyway, any my words about oly's video are not true? Even vIZnquest confirms that he uses a $70 Zi8 not his oly for video. So, who's bashing oly?

Again for the last time, as said it clearly in the first post of this thread: "Focus is on the color tone and blue sky that are the weak parts of panny", which have been addressed very well by my latest tweaks.

Last edited by sdcs; Apr 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 1:32 PM   #26

Yes, but you still put in the HD everywhere, this was about the photos as your title of the post said. And not HD. As no one has seen any samples about the issues you have with HD. Not fanboy or anything. You showed us bad photos but grip on the HD. And all you do is complain about the video clips, that no one has any idea of as there is no samples. It really seems more the need for justification on the gf2 then about the photos.

If you want to complain about HD, go start a thread about HD, and link the problems you are having. Everyone who read this thread and all we saw was humdrum panny shot that does not match the oly. And no matter what you adjusted, it did not come close. And that was the comments you got, the oly was better without even trying. And you keep coming back with oly HD, which has nothing to do with the photos.

So it is bashing because you are trying to justified to yourself that the panny produced a good jped, which it is dead last among the big brands in that department. But to get around that, it has been mention to shot in raw and you will be able to get the color and image more to your taste. I have seen good panny photos, but they just happen to be shot in RAW not OOC.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:30 PM   #27

sdsc,
Your first two posts had made no mention of HD video. As far as shots out of each camera comparing the two. The GF2 simply doesn't cut it compared to the EPL1 straight out of the camera with no tweaks. What a pain for me it would be to try and tweak a camera to get my desired results expecting simplicity like I get out of the EPL1.
You should have made HD video a separate thread IMHO but you took the route you did when someone expresses their viewpoint... well lets say I found it to be quite illuminating on how you express yourself.
Your experience are not what I consider conclusive and indisputable evidence to support your findings. I am sure there are others who can produce fine video with the EP series cameras with their tweaks like you find in photos for your GF2.
So you don't like your EPL1 as a one does all. The Kodak Zi8 is trash compared to the GF2. The GF2 with your tweaks is comparable to the straight out of the camera EPL1 photos.
Good for you! (Golf clap)
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote