Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Default GF2 vs. EPL1, real life photo comparison

Both shot in out-of-box default P mode, except GF2's AWB is adjusted to A+4 and G+1 to match its photos to the warmness of EPL1. No any post processing except size down to 1024, all direct from in-body JPEG. The GF2 used a panny 14-45mm and the EPL1 a panny 14mm. Focus is on the color tone and blue sky that are the weak parts of panny.

sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3

I presume we are supposed to guess which photos are from which camera. I believe that the first photo in each comparison is from the Panasonic and the second photo in each comparison set is from the EPL1 due to its warmer WB.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:01 PM   #4

exif data is included, no guessing really needed. The better color and not over exposed ones are the oly.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:48 PM   #5

Yes GF2 came first and yes oly has better highlight control. Although oly applies a reddish cast to make photos warm, it does not add more red to what are already red. Panasonic's red is already too red (in a bad way), if I don't add 1 degree to G in AWB adjustment, the red will be disgusting. Panasonic's green is already too green too, so this G+1 does drag its green back, but still better to get the disgusting red down. As you can see the red car and clothes are really like traffic light while oly did them right. A+4 is the best compromise so far, A+3 is still on the cold side.

The default EV increment is 1, maybe I should change it to 0.3 or so like oly to get better exposure.

I'm very happy, this camera is really handy with the ETC mode and I don't loose much on still IQ. Another little thing make it even more handy is when I press the video button, it switches to AFC automatically. On the oly it is a PIA to switch that back and forth between stills and video. With GF2 I simply press either the big shutter or the red button, never miss a thing.

If I only take stills, I'll still prefer the oly. But, who does not do video these days? And how many are willing to carry a separate camera just for video?

Last edited by sdcs; Mar 31, 2011 at 5:06 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:55 PM   #6

Hi,

I am a noob, but is it not normal to tailor the camera setings to your liking? I don't understand why it matters if one camera's stock settings have a bit more color than another? It seems simple enough to correct this issue.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:04 PM   #7

Not really, as the panny jpeg engine really is not on the same level as the olympus, which is the best on the market. To be able to match the jpeg that the oly produce out of camera. You will need to shoot in RAW and have a very good RAW editing skills.

You can adjust the setting for in camera jpeg, but it only can go so far.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:09 PM   #8

I see. I totally missed the fact that the OP mentioned the photos being shot as JPEGs.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:39 PM   #9

Yes, it's true the Panny has blown some of the highlights. One can compensate by adjusting exposure compensation down a bit. But many PP programs (including iPhoto) allow one to bring down highlights - even in jpgs. But Oly does have the best jpg engine in the business.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:09 PM   #10

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote