Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old May 1, 2011, 8:04 AM   #1

Default GH2 and zoom

I just bought a GH2 this week and tried out the Olympus m40-150 lens on it. I can see for zoom uses, especially in dawn-like light, I would need a stabilized lens with more powerful zoom (and/or a tripod, but I like taking casual walks around the neighborhood with minimal equipment).

I am hesitant to get the Panasonic 100-300 because of the weight (the Pentax K-5 and 18-135 were causing arthritis flare in my wrist, and so I returned it for the GH2), and so am wondering if the Panasonic 45-200 would be pretty useful for these sorts of shots.

The contrast was pretty high, and I expect the sharpness is reduced by shooting at almost or full zoom with an unstabilized lens. There are some other shots of wood ducks on a lake that certainly could have used the 300mm reach, although the 200mm would be an improvement, too.

Name:  Dawn cropped 012.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  35.9 KBName:  Dawn large crop 013.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  86.2 KBName:  Squirreled uncropped 014.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  195.5 KB
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2011, 1:11 PM   #2

The 45-200 is a much lighter and smaller lens. I find that it work decent for stationary birds in trees, but always have more reach seems to be something most birds shooters want all the time.

But for general purpose stuff. the 45-200 is a great little lens to walk around with. And with the correction it does seem to be a tad sharper then the 100-300 at 200mm. The 100-300 is a good long reaching lens. But seems kinda soft at 300mm. I tried mounting it on my epl-1 and it way just to awkward to handle with a small body.

The OIS works well on the 45-300 on subjects far away.
Old May 2, 2011, 4:51 AM   #3

I bought the 45-200 at BestBuy yesterday afternoon. The balance on the GH2 is quite nice, it is still quite light. The few shots around the house show it to be solid, even in modest light. The OIS is really valuable, I took a picture of flowers at 1/10 of a second that came out really well.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote