Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old May 2, 2011, 3:56 AM   #1

Default 45-200mm, right side is fuzzy

Somehow I took a shot on the CD included in the GF2 package and noticed fuzzy prints on the right side. I thought must be the focus; so I moved the focus spot to the right side and took another shot. Still fuzzy right side. I then turn the camera 180 degree and the fuzzy side went to the left of the CD (i.e., still the right side of the lens).

To exclude the sensor, I swapped the lens to 14mm, no problem at all.

So I did some test shots to confirm this issue, the first is with 45-200mm and the one below it is with 14mm.

Am I too picky or Panasonic's quality control is in trouble lately? This is a list of the lenses I touched recently, only the 14-45mm kit is perfect:

14-45mm that came with GF1, perfect when I look into the glasses or at the images it produced. Sadly I sold it together with the GF1.

14-42mm, the glasses do not look as clean and dent-free as the 14-45mm, edges and corners are significantly softer than the center.

14mm that came with a GF2, some light marks or thin scratches on the front glass, softer left side.

14mm that came with another GF2, a white spot on the internal side of the rear glass, left and right sides are evenly sharp.

14mm that came with another GF2, some marks (like paint remains) on the rear glass, evenly sharp.

14-45mm from B&H, shiny white spot on the internal side of the front glass, very visible, see the 3rd photo below.

45-200mm from BestBuy, some light scratches (or paints) on the front glass.

45-200mm from BestBuy, some small dusts on the internal side of the front glass, fuzzy right side.

The CD, fuzzy fine prints at the right side that caught my attention:

With the 14mm lens, sharp, evenly:

45-200mm, right and left side:

14mm, right and left side:

14-45mm, shiny white spot:

Last edited by sdcs; May 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2011, 11:36 AM   #2

So, is the conclusion that BestBuy is perhaps selling seconds that might have been rejected? That's troubling. Are you going to try to return it? Lenses are not cheap and I expect a brand new one to be perfect.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 2:27 AM   #3

The two 45-200mm lenses I touched from BestBuy look new, no dust in the zoom ring. Zoom ring is the place that sucks dusts. Well, it might not be so hard to clean outside dusts.

I don't have much experiences with lenses; so I don't know if these are re-sellings or such "defects" are very normal for all new lenses.

Other than this issue, I love this lens for the colors and details. I prefer its images to all other lenses including 14-45mm and 14mm.

Last edited by sdcs; May 5, 2011 at 6:10 AM.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote