Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:59 AM   #1

Default GH2 100-300 Soccer Pactice

P1190371 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P1190602 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P1190603 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P1190630 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P1190655 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P1190692 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P1190631 by LTZ470, on Flickr

P1190722 by LTZ470, on Flickr
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:55 AM   #2

You've got nice warm lighting in these shots. And sharpness is good. A couple suggestions though:
First - watch your backgrounds. The exif has been stripped from these photos so I can't see what focal length and aperture you're using, but the dof is fairly deep. Cars and electrical boxes really become distracting elements. If at all possible, change your shooting angle to minimize distracting elements in the background.
Shot 1: I like the player and coach in this - those are good elements. The background is quite distracting though. And the shot is framed a bit loosely.

Shot 2: best in the series. Tightly framed, good expression and ball is relatively close. Background is still distracting - what aperture value were you using?

shot 3: no ball. Really want to get the ball in the frame.

shot 4: nice timing on the stride. Would prefer a shot more head-on so you get more of the facial expression. Also loosely framed so the distracting cars are more noticeable.

shot 5: nice action and expression - crop down more to help minimize the distracting cars in the background.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:26 AM   #3

Thanks John my first time shooting sports after learning a little about photography...all great points and well taken...I walked around the field to take these and get the sun at my back but yes I could get just to the sunny side of the net and catch more facial expression and easier to catch the ball in the shot as well...good point!
Used Program AE and should have used A...learning curve...and get the APerture as wide open as possible...

Wasn't even thinking about DOF, just making sure I got good quality shots/exposures and shutter speed was sufficient to stop action...

Also I shot off a three piece Monopod while sitting and it was too long so I ended up with many off camber shots due to me leaning while following the action...I'll use a shorter one next time and/or small tripod to keep camera on level plane...

Thanks again for all the suggestions...you should be able to just click on any of these photos and go straight to the FlickR acct...top left "Actions" down to "View EXIF info" and see the EXIF...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:27 PM   #4

Not being nosey LTZ, having tried many of the Panasonic P&S and four third cameras have you been able to compare them to the Sony NEX series which have slightly larger sensors?

QUOTE : "Thanks John my first time shooting sports after learning a little about photography"

I think you picked up a lot about photography long before now, so many good shots elsewhere in the forums..... good sharp action shots here LTZ !
Old Sep 2, 2011, 5:30 PM   #5

Those pictures made me smile Cole - I remember when my youngest was that age. He was a blond also and got the same "red face" when he got hot.

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
Not being nosey LTZ, having tried many of the Panasonic P&S and four third cameras have you been able to compare them to the Sony NEX series which have slightly larger sensors?

QUOTE : "Thanks John my first time shooting sports after learning a little about photography"

I think you picked up a lot about photography long before now, so many good shots elsewhere in the forums..... good sharp action shots here LTZ !
I tried a NEX a gentlemen had in our office...it is a great high ISO cam...I was very impressed...but I like to shoot long focal lgth's and also have the fast glass option for indoors and family get togethers...the 25mm 1.4 is a WOW! lens...and I have the 12mm 2.0 Oly as well for a trip to Germany this month...

The in camera IBIS and the Prime Lens just make the EP3 the perfect camera for my old shaky hands...

I shot the Circus at ISO 1250 with the 1.4 so with the NEX to stop action I would have been at minimum ISO 3200 probably more? with f/3.5...
User Interface doesn't grab me either...the NEX7 looks promising but with a minimal lens line up it's really not for me...
My favorite is the GH2 or G3 with a 100-300 lens...lol...thats about as far away from a NEX as you can get! lol....

I did try the Sony HX100 and while not bad the phtos look a little too plasticky for lack of a better word...but wow what a zoom factor...
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Those pictures made me smile Cole - I remember when my youngest was that age. He was a blond also and got the same "red face" when he got hot.
Thanx Clint I couldn't be more proud, he is a fine young man and ALL boy...I caught a Ribbon Snake here awhile back in the creek and he latched onto my finger, but my son just had to hold him, and the snake promptly latched onto to his eye brow...we had a great laugh together...and have caught a couple since then...
Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:59 PM   #8

Eye brow!!! Ouch!!

What would Mom say if she saw that?

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 3:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint501 View Post
Eye brow!!! Ouch!!

What would Mom say if she saw that?
What happens at the creek stays at the creek!...lol...
Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the info LTZ