Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:17 AM   #1

Default DSLR to Micro Four Thirds

How many of you have gone over to Micro Four Thirds from a DSLR and will never look back? What model did you choose and why?

Thinking of taking the leap myself!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:20 AM   #2

Have both, each does things the other does not do as well. Olympus, IS on all lenses, wireless flash control with built in flash, and most of all the great jpeg engine.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3

Back in September I sold my Canon 30D and Sigma 105mm macro lens to fund the buying of a Pany Lumix G3. Due to breaking my right pinkie a couple of years ago (it remains mangled after two ops), I found using the DSLR had become an awkward and painful experience for me, so I decided it was time to try something new. I think moving to micro 4/3s has been, in my opinion, a good compromise.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 2:02 PM   #4

G'day koolpc

I am in that process too
I am tired of the size & weight of the Pentax + Sigma DG lenses

After 40 yrs of using film slr cameras, to place one against a current dSLR and compare size & weight, one wonders about the so-called benefit of miniaturisation !!!

While I love the Sigma lenses, I wish that they would embrace the smaller format with smaller lenses, rather than wacking the full-frame lenses out all the time ... I will never want to buy a full-frame camera, so the arguement by some about 'future' is completely specious for me

I am enjoying the G2 and its 14-140 lens + the 100-300 lens
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:09 PM   #5

I've had many DSLRs...Nikon, Sony, Olympus and Pentax (various models of each brand except Nikon, which I only had the D40). Today I have a G3, G1 and EPL1 with various m4/3 and MF lenses and I guarantee you I will never go back to any DSLR. The IQ produced by these cameras in combination with the lenses I have is plenty good enough for my needs. The compactness of the m4/3 bodies and lenses is unbeatable. We are getting to a point where there is a good variety of m4/3 lenses available (of course we can't compare with Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Minolta's arsenal) and both Panasonic and Oly have more in store. The only downside of it is that AF on m4/3 comes with a steep price tag but then again, I'm sure that back in the old SLR days, a Nikon zoom lens would cost an arm and a leg.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 6:15 PM   #6

Hello Kollpc,
I just made the jump. Have been using and FZ40, and a Nikon D40, depending on what I was shooting. Also have a Nikon P7000, which I like.

Anyhow, I chose a G2 and a 45-200 lens in addition to the 14-42 kit lens (which I'm returning for the 14-45).

I chose it because I like the Image Quality, the EVF (had to have that, which eliminated many other 4/3s), articulating screen, top of camera controls that I use most often, and you can move the focal point by touching the screen and sliding your finger to your subject (really cool!). And it felt good in the hands, lighter than my D40. So size mattered, too.

But the G2 has been discontinued. It can still be bought, but probably not for long.

Just my 2 cents for whatever that's worth...

Good luck,
Bob
rmmcrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:56 AM   #7

G2 looks ace.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:18 AM   #8

The G2 is a good balance between the G1 and the G3. The G1 is an excellent camera considering that it pioneered the m4/3 technology. The only downside is its high ISO handling and the fact that it does not do video (not a biggy but always good to have the capability). Anything beyond 800 will be noisy with severe loss in resolution. The G3 shines in this department (better than the G2) but its small body with shallow grip makes it not as comfortable to hold as the G1/G2. It's build is also not as solid (but very good nonetheless). There are a few other differences between the G2 and G3 but not very significant.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:30 PM   #9

I like the G2 a lot. A big DSLR is a no no for me now. Think i would get more use out of a G2
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:36 PM   #10

If you are going to use it indoors or low light the G3 is the better option. The G2 is the same sensor as the G1. Not that great when indoors or low light. The G3 is decent at 1600iso.