Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Default Help - Pancake 20mm , how to MF on infinity

I'm trying to figure out how to manually focus on infinity with the 20mm. The focus ring just keeps turning and turning. I want to shoot some night sky images and wanted to pre-set the MF on infinity. Does anyone know? My alternative is to AF on the moon and switch to MF when in focus.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:44 AM   #2

I don't have the 20mm. I have the 14mm and the EPL1 and I don't believe there is a way to guarantee a pre-focus of infinity. If I point my camera to a point far away (which would for sure be seen by the camera as infinity) and try to manual focus, as I turn the ring it reaches focus but if I continue turning the image goes OOF. The thing is, once I get the infinity image in focus, just about everything else is also in focus. So, I guess you can pick something that is very far away and focus on it. That is your infinity as long as you don't touch that ring.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:53 PM   #3

Thanks Tullio, you confirm what I've heard from some other people, that there is not an easy way to MF on infinity. I was actually trying to shoot the night sky (stars and stuff) and was having a really hard time. I even had trouble MF'ing on the moon. I'm going to AF on the moon, then immediately switch over to MF. I'll try that this weekend.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 5:23 PM   #4

You should be able to AF on the moon w/o a problem. The problem is the exposure. Usually if you shoot in P/A/S you end up with a bright circle. In order to see the craters and dark spots, you should use M and set the aperture and shutter separately.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote