Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:36 PM   #1

Default Using a FourThird ZUIKO Digital 11 - 22mm + MMF-2 adapter on G1 / GF1 and GH2

Hi folks!
Would like to pick your brains a bit, concerning a slight problem I ran into, when attaching my Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL 11 - 22mm f/2,8 - 3,5 (which is a FourThirds lens) with the MMF-2 adapter from Olympus, onto my G1 and GF1 cameras.

Name:  single_h12_02_13_0068_PortrSmooth2_458x680_90%.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  74.7 KB

It does'nt work!

Strange really. Because it works fine when I use it on my GH2. Autofocus and all the automatics work just fine, as if I had another Panasonic-lens on. Well, the AF is just a tad slower of cours, but that's to be expected when using a FT-lens on a MFT-camera. I thought it might be the FirmWare in the cameras, so I checked and updated. The result is still the same.

The lens works on the GH2 but not on the G1 and the GF1!

FirmWares GH2: (this camera works well with the lens + adapter)
Body = 1.1 (which is the latest)
Lens = 1.0

FirmWares GF1:
Body = 1.2 (which is the latest)
Lens = 1.1

FirmWares G1:
Body = 1.4 (not the latest, which would be 1.5)
Lens = 1.0

Whenever I attach the lens to either G1 or GF1, the following warning appears on the LCD:

Name:  P1100683_Simplify_640x384_90%.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  51.3 KB

In other words, the camera (both G1 and GF1) doesn't recognize the lens / adapter, and threats is like any other manual legacy-glass I have. What have I forgotten? What have I overseen? Is there a FirmWare for the adapter, maybe? If there is, I have not found it anywhere.

Best regards from Norway,
Walter

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM. Reason: weeding out typing errors!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:27 AM   #2

There is a lens compatibility chart published by Panasonic. I don't have the link right now but I will look for it. Both the G1 and GF1 are Panasonic's first m4/3 models and if I recall, not all 4/3 lenses were compatible through the adapter. This may very well be the case here. Your lens appears to be a very old 4/3 by the grip design (large rubber blocks). I might be wrong but I think that's what the issue is. Nothing wrong with your G1/GF1.

OK, here it is...as I suspected, this lens is not supported.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...onnect/g1.html

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:23 PM   #3

Hi Tullio!

Yes - I was afraid something like this was the reason. As you, I once had this compatibility chart but could not find it neither. Now that you have refound it for me, it makes sense.

What a pity, I bought this lens recently together with a GH2 and thought I would be able to use it on my GF1 and my beloved G1 (which, under certain conditions, I think gives better IQ than the GH2 ...!) as well. I was not planning to keep the GH2, so I might just as well sell both the lens and the GH2. So much for lens-confusion and not doing ones homework befor buying!

Anyway, thanks for setting the record straight. You are always helpful when it comes to mFT-questions, Tullio!

Best regards!

You know, Tullio - I have a real attachment to my good old G1, and I will never sell it!

Name:  G1_10_24_0121_2_3_4_5_fused_DeSat_SoftLook_757x780_95%.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  147.3 KB
My G1

Name:  g11_11_16_0106_7_8_TC_DN-75%PoSmooth_720x740_95%.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  225.9 KB
My G1

Last edited by Walter_S; Mar 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:47 PM   #4

Same with me. I still have my G1 and I find it produces better IQ than the G3. I might sell my G3 but not the G1. Luckily I don't have any 4/3 lenses. All my lenses are either m4/3 or old vintage MF. At one point I bought the GH1 because from what I had read it seemed to be a much better camera. I could not find much difference in IQ so I returned it. Sometimes people make claims based on $$$. If it's more expensive it must be better. That's not so.

Nice pics BTW.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5

did you set the gf1 to shoot without lens? that's what i do to use legacy lenses on an adapter on my gf1, and they work fine. they won't autofocus, but they do shoot great pics.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:26 AM   #6

Yes, of course - I have all my m4/3 cameras on "shooth without lens", as I have a few legacy-lenses and 3 different adapter (2 more on order). The 1. picture above (My G1) and below her for instance is shot with my OM-System G-Zuiko Auto-S f/ 1.2 55mm on all manual. A lens with a particular buttery Bokeh.

And, yes - I COULD use the ZD 11-22mm like this and use it manual, but thats not what I bought it for.

Best regards,
Walter