Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old May 15, 2012, 4:53 AM   #1

Default G1

Picked up a G1 on ebayer at a good price with the 14-45mm and 45-200mm. Early days but impressed with it so far. Still got my FZ45 which I dont think I will ever get rid of.

What other accessories would you recommend in getting?
Attached Images

Fz45, Dmw-LC55, Raynox M-150 & 250, Raynox DCR-1540pro.
Panasonic G1 14-45mm & 45-200mm

Last edited by stevetracey; May 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM.
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2012, 9:52 AM   #2

I really like my G1, more than the G3 in many respects. Not only the G1 is a capable camera, the 14-45mm is one of the best kit lenses I've ever had. The 45-200mm is also a good lens but you will find that from time to time you'll get soft images. Perhaps the OIS system is not as efficient as Panasonic claims it to be. Unless you are into primes, I think the two lenses cover just about all FL for day-to-day photography. If you care for the fisheye effect, I suggest you buy the Rokinon 7.5mm for m4/3. It goes for $299 on Amazon and it is a great lens. IQ is excellent and even though it is MF, focusing is a piece of cake. There are plenty of programs out there that correct the distortion of those ultra WA lenses. I'd also get a spare battery but first check the firmware level the G1 is at. If it is 1.1 or 1.2, then any 3rd party battery will work. Panasonic introduced a battery check on firmware 1.3 and above, which prevents the G1 from accepting batteries other than Panasonic. There is one version of 1.3 on the net which does not have the batt check code so you can get that if you wish (and can find it). I'm sure that you'll probably be able to find 3rd party batts on eBay that will work on the G1 with any F/W but you'll have to do your homework. My G1 is at 1.2 because I felt I would not benefit that much from the upgrades. I'm happy with it as is.

BTW, nice first shots!

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; May 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 1:49 AM   #3

"What other accessories would you recommend in getting? "

The handiest thing I found for use with the 45-200 was a set of close-up filters/diopters. Adding a +1 to the 45-200 makes it act like the macro/close-up mode in an FZ. It gets it inside that 3' minimum focus point, to around 18" give or take.

I have Kenko +1, +2 & +4 in the 52mm size and they fit both the 14-45 and the 45-200. They make nice toys to play with for some "pseudo" macro effects.

On the battery vs: firmware issue, I have 2 G1's and have firmware versions 1.4 and 1.5 installed and my spare batteries still work. The batteries were branded "E-forcity" and purchased direct around January 2011 if that helps. The battery indicator also works, which seems to be a rarity with the newer models.

What seemed to indicate the battery will work in any firmware version up to 1.5 in the G1 is if the battery is listed as functional in the G2 or G10.

Watch for a deal on a 50mm f/1.4, 1.7 or 1.8 and a 28mm f/2.8 Pentax or Minolta legacy lens and get a Fotodiox or Rainbow Imaging adapter to try. Add a $10 set of extension tubes to match and you've got a super cheap macro lens setup.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012, 9:53 AM   #4

I'd also look for Canon FD lenses. The adapter is very cheap and those lenses are great. I do have a fairly large number of Pentax K-mount lenses and they work well. The Chinon is among my favorites (if not my fav, particularly the 50mm f1.7).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote