Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old May 24, 2012, 7:34 PM   #41

Until now I've spent $325 for GF-3 camera with 14mm lens
$125 for 14-42mm lens.
Total spent $450. Do you think it was a good deal?
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 7:58 PM   #42

I think you did very good. I don't know how popular this equipment is where you live but you can probably make some good money on the 14mm and use it to buy the 45-200mm. I don't really see the point in keeping both the 14mm and the kit lens. As I mentioned before, I have the 14mm and hardly use it these days.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 9:10 PM   #43

Well truth is thaa I don't see myself carryng big lenses around. I prefer the compact ones. I could have tried the collapsible one but is too expensive and I still don't know if this is something I want to keep investing. We'll see soon enough!
Other thing I would like is something to protect the camera body and screen. what do you suggest?

Last edited by chiquito3; May 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 9:18 PM   #44

I think you did just fine, considering the 14mm is selling for @$270 new and @$200 used.

I wouldn't be in a big rush to get rid of it yet. It could be real handy to snap on and just slip in your pocket and go. With MEZ activated, it will seem a lot like the 20mm f/1.7 for comparison.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 9:40 PM   #45

Could you elaborate more about that? I have no idea of what you are talking about.

Last edited by chiquito3; May 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:20 PM   #46

Are you asking me about the MEZ?

With a Panasonic, there is a feature called Extended Zoom (EZ) or sometimes called ETC or Extended TeleConverter.

When activated, this creates an additional crop factor at various picture sizes.

For example, what is Normal (or full size) is the native 2x crop factor. This means the 14-42 lens is equivalent to 28mm to 84mm in 35mm terms.

At the MEZ (medium)setting, this becomes a 3x crop factor, making that lens equivalent to a 42-126mm angle of view.

At SEZ (small), the crop factor is 4x, making the lens appear to be a 56-168mm.

With the 14mm, you would have 28mm Normal, 42mm at MEZ and 56mm at SEZ.

Since the 20mm is 40mm at Normal, the 14mm is roughly the same at the MEZ of 42mm. So you could get a good idea of what it would be like to use the 20mm all the time, vs: the 14mm.

It sounds confusing, but if you have the camera and activate the feature, you can just open the Quick Menu and scroll through the EZ settings and watch the image "leap" up in size from one setting to the next. It's a form of sensor cropping/digital zoom.

It makes every lens you have, three lenses in one. It's not digital zoom, you have that too.

Now, every time you reduce the image size, it degrades the IQ to some extent, but with careful use, you can get very good results.

With the feature activated and the 14-42 lens mounted, you'll be able to see the results easily.

This is just one of the features in the camera, there are hundreds of combinations to experiment with.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:40 PM   #47

Wow that sounds very interesting!!!! The camera is at my local Post Office right now. I'll ask a neighbor to pick it up for me tomorrow.
How do I have to set the camera to take good pictures indoor with low light?
Also don't forget to mention a good screen protector.

Last edited by chiquito3; May 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:32 PM   #48

There's no reason to make any changes initially. Just mount the lens and set up the basics of time, date, etc., and get familiar with using the IA (auto mode) and try the Scene modes to get started.

Just be sure to "format" the SD card in the camera and find the "reset" in the menu. If you do make a lot of adjustments and get everything messed up, then you can go to the "reset" and bring everything back to the original default settings, like when you took it out of the box.

You can go to Panasonic .com and download the full manual and place it on your desktop for convenience and get familiar with it. You'll need it as you progress.

Try to get started outdoors or in good light where you can see how well the camera works before you push the limits indoors and low lighting.

With that 14mm f/2.5, you should do pretty well in lower lighting. Get some time in first. If you struggle at something, then ask. I'll help if I can, but it's better to solve a problem than to create one.

Just relax and take some shots. It has a "delete" button.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:24 AM   #49

I've never used a cover for my lcd's with no problems, so I can't advise you there. You might want to check with someone who has the touchscreen. They might use a different film or maybe none at all.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:20 AM   #50

I will definitely do that and would let you guys know.