Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old May 30, 2012, 5:17 AM   #61

Guys I just bought am E-PM1 body from a forum member at other web site at a good price. I just want to test how good is the IBIS and if I prefer it. I will try both and maybe later decide to sell one of the bodies if my daughters let me. What are you thoughts about the E-PM1?
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 9:32 AM   #62

It appears to be a good camera (perhaps better than the GF3). You just need to try and see which one fulfills your needs better.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 10:47 AM   #63

Ok I'll do that. I can't wait to have it on my hands.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:41 AM   #64

The lens just arrived. To my surprise or maybe my ignorance. I don't seem to find a way to zoom with any button. Does it has to be done manually?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:05 AM   #65

Only P&S cameras have the zoom button (and even those, some offer manual zoom - on the lens). All DSLR-type of cameras have the zoom on the lens (whether electronic or manual).

Tullio
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:45 PM   #66

I see now. Something I just learned today. I don't love how disproportioned le camera looks with the 14-42mm. I think that for this tiny camera the PZ would be a better option. I'm going to spend this weekend out wit h the family and mill try the camera wit both lenses.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:26 PM   #67

The GF3 (or EPM1 if you bought it) are very small cameras but when you add most lenses to them, they become not as "pocketable". The 14mm and 20mm are very small but any other m4/3 lens will be bigger (even though they are still very small compared to normal DSLR lenses). If size is really an important factor, then the solution is to get one of those 20x zoom P&S cameras.

Tullio
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:35 PM   #68

Now that you have the 14-42 lens you can now discover what focal length you need. That's what this discussion has revolved around from the beginning.

The ring you rotate to "zoom" is called a zoom ring. Look at the numbers on it. They go from 14 to 42. That is the focal length of the lens. It creates the angle of view that you see in the lcd.

Turn it to 14. That's the same as the 14mm lens you have.

Turn to 20. That's like the 20mm Panasonic.

Turn to 30. That's like the 30mm Sigma.

Turn to 42. That's like the 45mm Panasonic or Olympus.

The apertures (f/numbers) of the prime lenses will make them much better in low light, and more controllable for depth of field, but you have to select a focal length first.

You might be just fine with the lenses you have. You just don't know it yet.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:43 PM   #69

I tried the lens today and have to say that i loved it. There were some times that I found the camera a little uncomfortable on the neck but I know it is the strap. I think that the 45-200 would be a nice addition.

Last edited by chiquito3; Jun 2, 2012 at 4:48 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:04 PM   #70

One thing I think I'll need is lens filters to protect the lens. Would any cheap filter do or would I need one with specific specifications?