Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:20 PM   #71

Other thing I'll need is a spare battery. I took so many photos that the battery died before the end of the day. Since I boght the E-PM1 body I'll wait till I decide wich one I like better. I'm also thinking that in a not so near future I'll like to have the 20mm for beter low light performance. Let's see what happens.
chiquito3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:37 PM   #72

Poor quality filters will deteriorate IQ. At the same time, I'd not pay a lot of money for filters either. Whatever you buy, make sure they specify being multi-coated. That's the most important thing. Hoya is usually good quality and fairly inexpensive. You should look for UV filters. Skylight will also work but they have a slight tint to them so I'd stick to the UVs.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:35 PM   #73

It often takes 2 or 3 re-charges with a new battery for it to reach it's rated capacity. The GF3 is rated 300 shots per charge.

I think you need to slow down before you buy more gear you don't need.

If you had Jeff Wignall's book "Exposure Photo Workshop" and a Slik tabletop tripod, you wouldn't need any more gear.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:41 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquito3 View Post
One thing I think I'll need is lens filters to protect the lens. Would any cheap filter do or would I need one with specific specifications?
I have found both Hoya's Pro-1 Digital protector filters and their newer HD Digital protectors to be very good. They are usually to be found at a reasonable price on Amazon.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:36 PM   #75

I don't actually think the battery is weak. I found it to have more than reasonable power for the camera. I just think that since I'm abusing it that much it would be better for me to have a spare. But I'm not buying and original one, I'll try one from ebay at less than $8.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:12 PM   #76

received my epm1 body and noticed that I need to reenter date/time every time I take out the battery.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:40 PM   #77

I don't know anything about Olympus, but with most "new" Panasonic cameras, it's necessary to keep the charged main battery in the camera for @24hrs to charge up the mini-battery that maintains the clock, date, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:17 PM   #78

Well I'll check that then. I'll let the battery in for a full day and then recharge overnight.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:48 AM   #79

It isn't a specific routine. I just play with a new camera and then leave the battery in the camera overnight and never give it another thought.

After that you can leave the battery out for months and it should retain it's memory.

It should be in the user's manual. With the GF3, you probably did it and didn't realize you had.

If it loses the time and date, it will lose all your custom presets and adjustments also. So if it doesn't work after the charge time, you should ask an Olympus user. I'm only familiar with the Panasonic.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:49 PM   #80

it seems to be a known problem for some olympus Epm1. What I don't understand is why this is happening on a refurbished unit?