Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old May 29, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Default G3 menu flaw???

I've been setting my G3 to SPOT meter with great results. I move the camera around until I find the best overall exposure then I lock it and shoot. I don't do much video but this past w/e we had a get-together with family and friends and I decided to take some videos. I quickly realized that the metering was set to SPOT because as I moved the camera around, the lighting changed drastically (as expected, of course) making the videos almost unusable. So, I went to the menu and under Motion Picture I changed the metering from SPOT to Center Weight. all was well except that when I switched back to taking still pictures, the metering was now Center Weight. So basically, we can't set the metering to two different modes, one for still and one for video. Actually, this is not the only setting that can not be set separately. AF-S and AF-C is another one. In video mode I want AF-C since I'm moving the camera a lot and the object is also moving but when shooting still, I want AF-S as it saves me battery. I believe this could be easily corrected in firmware.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2012, 8:41 PM   #2

as far as i knew, there are no separate video settings including metering. video in the g3 is pretty much entirely automatic, so if you changed the metering, you changed all the metering. that's the case in a lot of cameras of this level - lower cost, less external controls, automatic video. the gh2 has full control over video, and has great videos.

btw, you're right about the firmware. there's a hack is on the way for the g3 videos from the same guy who did the gh2 hacks, so when he's got that done, we'll be able to use it to have full control of our videos.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:56 AM   #3

The thing is, when you go to the Movie settings in the menu, metering is one of the settings that can be changed. It would be very easy to make that option work independently between Rec and Movie modes.

I do hope you are right about the hacking of the G3 movie functionality. I'm looking forward to it already.

Tullio
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:12 PM   #4

i hope so, too. here's the official announcement from Vitaliy that he's going to be working on it but he's not specific about what features he'll be opening up.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/d...pment-topic/p1
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:27 PM   #5

Cool! Thanks for the link.

Tullio