Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Default What is the best setup for macro shots on G1?

What is the best setup for macro shots on G1?

I'm looking at taking macro shots with my Panasonic G1. I have the raynox 150/250 lens but don't seem to get the same results as I did with the Panasonic FZ45.

They are ok but are only ok. Is it better to get a macro lens that is meant for the G1.
If you have any pictures from various lens and experiences would be appreciated.

Fz45, Dmw-LC55, Raynox M-150 & 250, Raynox DCR-1540pro.
Panasonic G1 14-45mm & 45-200mm
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2012, 2:19 PM   #2

There are some pics I took with the Leica 45mm macro lens on my G3 here...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...edinburgh.html
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:55 AM   #3

If what you are trying to do is "mimic" the macro/close-up mode in an FZ, just add a +1 diopter lens to the 45-200 and activate Mez. That gets you inside the minimum focus distance of 1 meter and it will "act" like the P&S where you can zoom in and out and auto-focus at the same time.

That will get you those "close-ups" that everybody wants to call "macro", but it is "not" macro.

I use a 50mm lens and 50mm extension tubes to achieve a true 1:1 macro. A dedicated macro lens like the 45mm f/2.8 would make it easier and be a lot more versatile, but I'm not sure it's better. You'd probably still need the tripod and macro rails to get a decent 1:1.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:50 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking at the Zuiko 50mm f3/5. Anyone know how it performs.
Doesn't look bad from what Ive seen.

Fz45, Dmw-LC55, Raynox M-150 & 250, Raynox DCR-1540pro.
Panasonic G1 14-45mm & 45-200mm
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:08 PM   #5

"I've been looking at the Zuiko 50mm f3/5."

Do you mean the old slr/legacy lens?

At a specified 1:2 ratio for a dslr, it could achieve true 1:1 adapted to an m4/3. With no IS, manual focus and the necessity to stop down to f/11-f/16 to get a crisp image, that would be a challenge.

I'd like to have that lens for "macro" shots. Is that what you really want? Or do you want those @ 1:4 close-ups like "mono" posted?

I could be mistaken, but I "think" what you are describing is a 50mm f/1.4 legacy prime that focuses close. Or possibly one of the short telephoto/macro types that are rated @ 1:4.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
...just add a +1 diopter lens to the 45-200 and activate Mez...
What is Mez?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:26 AM   #7

I refer to the Extended Zoom in the picture sizes as displayed in the drop down menu.

Activate the Extended Zoom feature in the main menu. Then you will see when activating the quick menu the aspect ratios change to the various picture sizes.

You will see The aspect ratios displayed as F for full size, M for medium size and S for small. eg: Mez, Sez to designate the Full size 2x crop ratio, M is a 3x crop factor and S is the 4x crop factor.

I just use the abbreviation to designate the sensor cropping feature know as Extended Zoom in nearly all Panasonic cameras for years. In the P&S models, the feature is designated using the MP size. For example, in an FZ it would be 7EZ, 5EZ, 3EZ, etc., rather than the m4/3 designation of F, M or S.

It's referred to as ETC in the models where it can be activated in video also. That's a more recent addition. We didn't have that in the earlier models. The EZ was only for stills.

It has always worked well as long as you don't push it in combination with higher ISO. Mez is very close in image quality to Full size as long as you don't go over ISO800. Sez is fine if you don't increase saturation.

The 45-200 goes from 90-400 to 135-600mm at Mez. And 180-800mm as Sez.

A 50mm f/1.4 prime can be 200mm f/1.4. And it doesn't have any effect on the focus distance.