Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:22 PM   #1

Default Any Lumix owners have a Fuji?

Hello, While debating between an FZ200 and a G3 to replace my FZ35 with I have come up with another contender...just when I thought I was set on the G3! Fuji has the X-S1 which is reminiscent of the FZ50 in that it has manual zoom and focus on a non removable lens. To me this is the bees knees, should be able to do bokeh effect and zoom blur (not sure if that is the right term) when zooming while the picture is being taken. I know Fuji has a good reputation, but... All the photos I have seen just don't seem to be as crisp and vivid as a Panasonic. Granted this could be due to the operator, but on the whole that seems to be the case. In addition I have deep brand loyalty to Panasonic and don't want to buy a Fuji, but it seems to have all that I need. Do any of you have any experience with the Fuji X-S1 and can you compare it to any Panasonic? Again I thank you all for your time and insight/opinions, they are always appreciated and not taken for granted.
4mula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:32 PM   #2

The Fuji is over 2#. It's bigger and heavier than a lot of dslr's. A G3 with a 14-42 and a 45-200 would only weigh about 50 grams more, and be smaller.

On the other thread, you were concerned about bulk. And how do you expect to get "bokeh" with a P&S when it's difficult to do with a micro 4/3 without a specific lens?

A 20mm f/1.7 will get a little out of focus, a 45-200 will do well if framed properly and a 45 f/1.8 will limit you to a specific type of shot to get it. That's an out of focus background, not necessarily "bokeh".

Those "zoom" blurr, in/out shots take long exposures at narrow apertures from a tripod with an m4/3. The image blacks out. You can't see with an evf like the optical viewfinder in a dslr.

If you want those special effects, you're better off with a dslr. It's easier and cheaper.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:54 PM   #3

G'day 4m

Firstly I have both the Fuji X-s1 AND the Panny G2 AND have used the FZ28/FZ35/ FZ100 over the past few years ~ the 35 was mine, the 28 & 100 are 'hers' !!!

I immediately suggest you pop up the screen to the Steve's Knowledgebase and read MY review of the X-s1 camera. I also invite you to pop into my Flickr site and view many images taken with these cameras > then the comments from BB above [ie ".... you're better off with a dslr. It's easier and cheaper...."] will fade into insignificance as being quite unhelpful to you

Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Aug 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4

4mula1,

Is there anything on that flickr site that you can't do with the FZ35 now?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:33 PM   #5

BB, Yes the X-S1 is large for traveling, but it is easily "do-able" as it would be in one case and I would not need the bulk of bringing extra lenses. I don't see why I could not get "bokeh" effect with the X-S1??? I can get it in some instances with my FZ35 and the X-S1 being a more versatile camera it should not be too hard, or is there something I am not aware of? Again with a tripod I would THINK it would be possible to get zoom effect with the Fuji. All the steps to do it can be done on that camera. Again, maybe there is something I am missing or not understanding. These are things I would like to be able to do, but would not do all the time. A dslr is going to be too expensive no matter how you look at it and I think the hassle of the additional lenses would be a detriment.

Ozzie, thank you for taking the time to reply! I have read a number of your posts on other subjects and have been both informed and entertained. Seeing as how you have used/owned a Panasonic FZ series I am very excited to read your review on the Fuji. Also being able to see your pictures will be wonderful. Thank you so very much for steering me to those two things. I am going to read your review NOW!

Again thank you both for your opinions and insight, I appreciate it very much.

Shane
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:59 AM   #6

If you're getting "bokeh" with an FZ35, you should be just fine with the Fuji.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:03 PM   #7

G'day 4m - Shane

With the recent release of the FZ-200, I would suggest that
a) you look at the dropping prices for the FZ-150 ... it's a good camera and it may well give you everything you need
b) you might also like to pop into DP Review to do side-by-side comparisons for the Fuji + the 2 Pannys

Whatever happens - the final choice must be yours, as you are the one to be using the camera ... so whatever you end up with, I trust that it will give you everything that you're looking for :-)

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:51 PM   #8

I don't think the G3 can do anything that the FZ200 won't do. I just checked one of the photography forums where members usually post high quality images and saw a whole bunch of photos taken with the G3 + Lumix 100-300mm and I was not that impressed. I have no doubt the FZ150 can easily match those pics in terms of IQ. So, if I were you, I wouldn't rule out the FZ200 just yet.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:04 PM   #9

Tullio, thank you for your thoughts. I kind of agree you in regards to the FZ200. I think what I m going to do is just pick up a Fuji HS30EXR and see what I can do with that and pick up the FZ200 in a year or so and call it all good.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:26 PM   #10

The Fuji HS10 and HS20 are capable cameras so it's fair to assume the HS30 follows suit. However, from what I've read about the older models, they had some issues regarding IQ at the long end of the zoom. You might want to do some research.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote