Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Liking The GX7 and 7-14mm f4

Been using the three big Panasonic lenses (7-14mm f4, 12-35mm f2.8 and 35-100mm f2.8) with my Olympus E-M1, but finally picked up a Panasonic body, the GX7, to get the best in-camera processing match and really am enjoying the new body quite a bit.

There are things the GX7 does better than the E-M1 and ditto the other way. They're both excellent bodies and while I'm certain to be waffling back & forth quite a bit, the GX7 + 7-14mm f4 may be good enough to just keep in the bag as a dedicated super-wide outfit to use alongside the E-M1 and 12-40.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 19, 2014 at 10:51 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:35 PM   #2

There's no arguing with the quality of those images. Super nice.

I've left my G3 in the box since the M1 came along but I've been thinking of dusting it off. Have you tried the GX7 with the Zuiko 12-40?
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:28 AM   #3

Not yet. I've stuck with the three Panasonic zooms so far out and about shooting. Did a little playing around with the 25mm f1.4. It's a super-fast focusing lens on the GX7 without the twitching sounds it makes on the Olympus bodies.

Been really impressed with the GX7 body. Read all the stuff DPReview said about the finder with the rainbow effect and such and have noticed nothing negative at all. Like the E-M1, outdoors it benefits alot on sunny days wearing a brimmed hat for times when side-lighting can get between my glasses and the eyepiece, but it's certainly no worse than the E-M5. I ordered the bigger accessory finder piece from Panasonic last week to see if it helps make things better outdoors when I might not want to be wearing a hat.

Panasonic's implementation of the combined digital level and histogram in the EVF is much nicer than the E-M1 setup. It even flips, keeping both axis available when you go into vertical shooting orientation. The Olympus in-body IS system seems a lot better since the Panasonic in-camera system does not steady the finder before the shot, but the in-lens OIS of the 12-35 and 35-100 does, and the electronic shutter is slick, slick, slick. I now have it set on one of the function keys to enable in cases of slower shutter speeds to keep things more steady, a sort of replacement for the Olympus E-M1's -0- anti-shock setting.

The flat top of the GX7 and smaller size of the 12-35 compared to the Olympus 12-40 also makes it really easy to pack the GX7, 7-14, 12-35 and 35-100 into my smallest bag, the Think Tank Retrospective 5. Quite a powerful, compact little kit.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 20, 2014 at 7:50 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:03 PM   #4

FWIW, today I received the Panasonic DMW-EC1, which is an extended rubber eyepiece to fit over the GX7 finder and provides a better blocking of sidelight when outdoors shooting.

The finder shroud provided on the GX7 is not quite good enough for someone like myself who wears glasses. Out and about this past weekend when I was wearing a hat with a brim all the way around it worked just fine. This accessory piece fits nice & tightly around the existing eyepiece and looks like it will do exactly what it was designed to do. At all of $13 from Panasonic, this SHOULD have been installed as the default finder cup for the GX7. It definitely would have corrected one common complaint about the camera in most web reviews. As it is, I just may order 2-3 extras just in case it comes off.....thinking of you, Bob It comes with a tiny lanyard to attach to a strap ring just in case it comes off, but I see that getting in the way more than helping anything.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM.