Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 21, 2014, 7:03 AM   #1

Default Some GX7 Colors

From the Arboretum Saturday.

The pin point AF does remarkable well at latching onto small objects with busy backgrouds that some AF systems have a really hard time doing without some amount of manual focus intervention.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:22 PM   #2

Beautiful color and detail Greg. The texture of the rose petals in image 5 is remarkable. Looks like good light was on you side too. Did these start as raw or jpg? Is there an available camera profile for ACR?
chiPersei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:41 PM   #3

That 5th image was fun to shoot. It (and image #3) was very close to the ground, so I got down low and raised the EVF around 50-60 degrees so I didn't have to get my face down to the ground-level to shoot it. It was a shaded shot I used the electronic shutter to eliminate all possible vibrations.

I arrived at the Arboretum when it opened at 9am Easter morning. There was an overcast sky and few people. By the time everyone started arriving around 10:30-11am, I was done and the sun was coming out. Perfect timing.

Adobe does not (yet) offer body-specific profiles for Panasonic bodies like they finally started doing a few months ago for all the Olympus Micro bodies, so I paid $10 for the three GX7 Huelight profiles. These were all raw captures. I'm playing around with raw+jpeg and fiddling with various in-camera settings to see what's possible, but do not anticipate using the jpeg's much.

April 22 update- I anticipate using jpegs even less now after playing around with a few of the GX7 processing options, namely iDynamic range, supposedly an option to increase dynamic range. I was capturing a few raw+jpeg files yesterday after work. When I got home, downloaded and opened the raw files to my horror they were grossly, grossly underexposed. i-Dynamic range processed the heck out of the files and includes a severe underexposure I was not seeing on the histogram at the time of capture, to try and preserve highlights that is passed on to the raw file. It was so severe my normal raising of shadow values in Adobe Camera Raw did little to help and worse, after my attempts to raise the shadow values, which took a combination of raising the Blacks and Shadow sliders in addition to positive exposure compensation, there were clipped areas of highlights I could not recover, and I was exposing just short of the right-hand edge of the histogram. Can't tell exactly how the camera did what it did, but suffice it to say, anyone with even a passing interest in raw capture should not be using iDynamic range if you are shooting raw+jpeg. That feature is now turned off....permanently, on this GX7.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:31 PM   #4

Nice photos Greg. I have followed your work first in the Oly 4/3 forum and then in micro 4/3. I have a couple of GX1's that I now use primarily. Occasionally still shoot with the Oly 4/3. I agree about the pinpoint focus, I can actually shoot through branches to capture a bird. Not sure a about the I-dynamic setting seems that even for j-pegs I have more luck with Lightroom.
ehofmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM   #5

Thanks!

Pin-point AF has pretty much become my default AF setting. It is incredibly accurate.

Whether it's Lightroom or Photoshop, the processor is the same. The development window in Lightroom where any editing can be done is Adobe Camera Raw, the same thing you use in Photoshop to process raw files. It's just set up different in Lightroom. The only tool in the Lightroom development window not included in ACR/Photoshop is the soft proofing viewing option. Otherwise, all the sliders and commands are there in both programs. If you're used to one program it can take a minute or two to find it in the other, but it is there.

I had the i-Dynamic range setting at the worst possible setting if one was really only interesting in processing the raw file from a raw+jpeg set, the High setting. The fully-processed files on the back LCD as I was shooting looked fine. If one just shot jpeg the i-dynamic setting is probably something that should always be on in some power. I later played around with the Standard and Low settings as well as the High option and they all three leave processing marks of varying amounts (High being the worst, most contrasty) just like the coded lens auto distortion corrections and fringing corrections all applied to raw files.

Just leaving the i-Dynamic setting turned off is the best thing one can do if processing raw files is the main goal. Better learned just playing around like I've been doing rather than on vacation. Without all the extra processing added, the GX7 raw files are extremely versatile. I love stopping after work on sunny late afternoons and playing with maximizing exposure ranges in high contrast scenes, seeing how far at both extremes of the histogram I can push an exposure and seeing how much detail I can retain and bring out in ACR like these from this evening. Nothing earth-shaking in terms of subject matter, but it makes good practice for when I'm on a trip and want to know exactly what my limits with a camera are.

The 12-35mm f2.8 Panasonic works SO much better on the GX7 than it does the E-M1. You see none of the fringing in the Panasonic files you see, sometimes in spades, on files when it's being used on either the E-M1 or E-M5.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM.