Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Panasonic Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:31 AM   #1

Default Difference between the G5 and GH1?

Been thinking of getting a micro 4/3rds camera for awhile as I miss the 2x crop factor and have developed a taste for mirrorless but am on a limited budget. Looking at KEH I see both a G5 and a GH1 for around $240, well within budget. Other than the difference in MP what else is there? I'm sure I could find all I need to know by reading the DP reviews of each but I am hoping to hear from actual users. Thanks for any and all help.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:54 AM   #2

I've both - I would prefer G5 ... GH1 is good, but "very old"

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3

Many thanks. The G5 specs do look much better, especially the ISO. Living in the Pacific Northwest I need high ISO a lot and the rather poor performance of Oly in that what drove me out of 4/3rds.

John
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Hi

Also worth a look is the G6, which is heavily discounted at the moment, probably because an update is due soon (G7?)

The GH1 is quite old now so I would suspect the newer cameras might perform better
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:32 PM   #5

You can get really good deals on the GX-7 right now too, but I'm not sure if it's that low.
SammyKhalifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies. Ended up getting the G5 and the Panny 43 to m43 adapter. Love the camera and the results I've gotten so far though I was disappointed that my Sigma 135-400 won't focus properly on it. Camera is a joy to use with my old manual focus glass and the results have been very good, have noticed that I need to do very little PP and unlike my experience with 43 cams, the higher ISO are great. I may have to get some native glass now and see how I like it with that, right now I'd have to say it's my go to camera though I wish the RAW buffer and FPS were a bit better (got spoiled with my V1 and it's 20 FPS with large buffer).

John