Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-30/)
-   -   optio mx (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-30/optio-mx-27113/)

ed33 Jun 9, 2004 3:36 PM

Does anyone know when the optiomx is going to be for sale?

It really seems like a good gadget!

Are there any test photos online?

Thanks!

ed

ochiruna Jul 8, 2004 5:43 AM

it's available now in the u.s. i just received mine today and am getting used to it. i bought the wide angle lens with it. two things i noted first off: the flash does not deploy automatically and the manual advises using the wide angle in the equivalent of landscape mode only.

i like the way the camera is designed overall - there is much that is quite clever. on the other hand, it is a small cam and those with larger hands/fingers may find the buttons on the top which govern on/off, menu, mode selections, etc., somewhat small. i have smaller hands and find the buttons not easy to manipulate, though i believe unfamiliarity is a factor.

it's too early to say for sure, but i suspect once i learn to make the most of the many features i will be pretty happy with it - keeping in mind that is only a 3.2 mp cam and does not have ois for video mode.

ed33 Jul 8, 2004 5:49 AM

Hello!

Are the pics clear? And the videos? Is the shutterlag bad (does it take a long time from when you press the button untill the actual pic is taken?)

I would appreciate it if you could post some pictures!!!

Is it heavy to arry around?

Thank you!

Ed

ochiruna Jul 10, 2004 3:03 PM

sorry i don't have a way to post photos/video, but i do have 5mb video file (shot at iso100 equivalent) i may be able to e-mail if you like. it was shot in bright sunlight and the footage is quite good, but i am a total amateur and someone with more experience might not think so. stills are of equal or better quality, imho.

there are many adjustments that can be made on this cam, and i am still learning them. on the other hand, i spent an evening at a party shooting stills and trying out various modes. the best stills are quite a step up from the fujifilm f401 which i bought last year, mainly because of the ability to adjust the camera's sensitivity, aperture, etc..

the cam weighs 375g with battery, so it is not a pocket-size. if you buy the wa lens, it will be even heavier, and a bit front heavy as well.

ed33 Jul 10, 2004 5:11 PM

Hello!

Something else I find important:

Does it take a long time from when you press the button untill the actual pic is taken?(shutterlag)

I would appriciate it if you could sent me some pics or video

Thanks alot!!

Ed

ochiruna Jul 10, 2004 9:49 PM

i forgot to mention that there is some shutter lag. i have a panasonic camcorder that takes stills, and there is lag there, too, but it works differently: you see the frame that will be captured immediately and that is what is recorded on the sd card, so it doesn't matter if the person moves or not. with the pentax, you see a frame, but if the person moves, the actual shot recorded is completely different from what you saw in the lcd. can be annoying if you want really candid shots. my intention is to learn to depend more on moviecam mode in those situations where people are moving around rather than looking at the camera and posing, since, with my nle, you can extract frames from video if you really want a still.

ed33 Jul 11, 2004 3:51 AM

:(Short shutterlag is something I find very important as I want to take pics of my kids...

I really wonder when a proper review is going to come online!!!

Is it heavy to hold the camera as it is such a funny shape. Do you always turn the 'handle' down or do you take normal pics without turning it?

Thanks!!

Ed

ed33 Jul 12, 2004 3:59 PM

Steve!!! Have you got the camera already? How much longer?

:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

sparrow Jul 14, 2004 1:21 PM

I'd love to see an Optio MX review as well!

I just bought the Fisher cameracorder and it seems to be pretty good, but I suspect that the Optio MX is much better...

I will probably sell/return the Fisher and get the pentax.

Any thoughts out there?

sparrow Jul 14, 2004 1:24 PM

Also...

I'd love to know how folks have fared with the video format from the MX. One gripe I have with the fisher is that the .mp4 files are not copmatible with Premiere Pro. I don't want to use thier bundled software.

I know that the MX has .mov files, has anyone tried them with Premiere Pro?

ochiruna Jul 14, 2004 3:44 PM

i looked at the fisher about a year ago and decided against it. cute, but overpriced for what it offered. pentax at least has a track record as a camera manufacturer.

sorry i can't help with the premiere pro issue, as i'm a mac user. i think you'll find a lot of software out there that will help with getting your mov files into premiere pro, though. i found something for the mac which works like a charm for importing both video and audio into imovie (wanted to add some effects and things not available in quick time).

there's quite a bit of noise when shooting video in low light conditions, but if what you want is e-mail and compress your file to those standards, it's quite a good picture. i have to say that for such a little cam, audio is also much better than i expected. (although there is no way to reduce wind noise if shooting outdoors.)

steve should definitely try to get hold of this camera for a review. i would be interested in hearing his opinion, since to me it seems capable of taking great pics - if the owner (me, in this case) had more skill.

steve Jul 15, 2004 9:57 PM

ed33 wrote:
Quote:

Steve!!! Have you got the camera already? How much longer?

:??:??:??:??:??:??:??:?

We just got the MX yesterday and it is in the process of being reviewed. Look for the review later next week. I'm pretty sure that if I stand on the side of the road and shoot a video that the cars will immediately hit their brakes when they see me, it looks just like the radar guns that our local cops use :lol:

ochiruna Jul 15, 2004 10:23 PM

thank you, steve. people have started pm'ing me asking for sample video clips and stills, and i know what i have just doesn't cover the cam's output - good or bad.

i like the radar gun format, by the way. it's actually easier for me to shoot (no pun intended) one-handed - helps to be able to have the other hand free to keep the videocam hanging from the strap around my neck from becoming a real pain!

HappyMac Jul 16, 2004 12:38 AM

Hi,

There is a video on Lammy's forum taken with the Optio MX

http://lamker.de/Download/VideoMX.zip(7.23MB)

in 640x480 format / medium quality / 30 p/sec

Mark

ed33 Jul 16, 2004 2:19 AM

Thanks Steve!

Looking forward:cool:

ochiruna wrote:
Quote:

- helps to be able to have the other hand free to keep the videocam hanging from the strap around my neck from becoming a real pain!

Is it so heavy?!

Ed

ochiruna Jul 16, 2004 3:01 AM

ed33, the videocam i referred to is a real videocam, not the optio, if that's what you thought. this past weekend i shot a family event using both. the videocam was on a tripod most of the time, but it was also around my neck at several points during the event, along with the optio. that being said, i'll repeat that the optio is not a little pocket cam. if that's really what you want, there's the new minolta x50 that looks interesting - video quality is not as good as the optio, nor is zoom range, but i think it's supposed to be a 5mp camera with a pretty fast shutter. if it proves to take good quality pics, i would certainly consider it myself as a supplement to what i already have.

ed33 Jul 16, 2004 3:26 AM

I thought you were talking about the optio...

I would like a good zoom and the video is a plus. For a comera with a good zoom I think this is the smallest one in its categorie.

I'm looking forward to the review because if pic quality is not so good or shutterlag too big I might forget about the zoom and look elsewhere and than I'll get a more compact model

Ed

ed33 Jul 21, 2004 9:35 AM

I finally saw the mx in real and...:(it's too much camcorder for me.

So now we'll have to decide. The pentax 555 or the nikon coolpix 3700. Two completely different cameras but both have their plusses for me (I suppose as every camera.) the 555 i like because of its 5 x zoom in a compact body. manual controls (eventhough I'm not sure how to use those as I am a complete newbie) and 5 mp.

the nikon I like because of its price, size, very fast startup and good pics in auto mode and movie function but the indoor pics are not so good (I heard) but I'm not sure if the 555 is better indoors.

Any help or advise?

Thanks!

ochiruna Jul 22, 2004 3:46 PM

ed33, you may also want to check out the new panasonic 5mp due on the shelves in august. it combines optical and digital zoom to get you to 12x, but with one advantage - maybe - it has optical image stabilization. it also does 30fps video with sound. i think i'll be weighing it carefully against the minolta i mentioned earlier. if it's small enough with a fast shutter, it could be very handy to have around.

i will say that there are enough new cams being released to fill every possible niche in the market. it's confusing, but interesting.

CMOSer Jul 22, 2004 4:25 PM

Ed33, Just curious, if video is important, then why consider the 555 or 3700, as they are both 320 X 240 and most likley have a somewhat poor quality due to the high compression? What about the optio 43wr? I have no personal insight, but it's at least vga @ 30fps.......

Scott

ed33 Jul 23, 2004 2:52 AM

The nikon coopix 3700 has 640 video 30 fps and I've seen that the quality is very good. it is a very nice, cheap and compact camera but not many manual modes. (although it has loads of presets).

The pentax 555 has a better zoom and manual features but very poor video and 5mp (which I dont really need) and is double in price...:shock:

The panasonic is a fantastic camera but too big for me...

I think I'll go for the nikon. It's really cheap and has got very good revieuws. If I see I would like more manual control (as I am a complete newbie, I dont even know if I'll use that) I can always give this one to my son who would be thrilled:D

Thanks everyone :cool:

Ed

ochiruna Jul 23, 2004 6:44 AM

for those still on the fence, there are now some sample pics from the optio mx posted at a-digital-eye.com, with review to follow. should be interesting to learn what dave and steve have to say.

jb30 Jul 24, 2004 2:19 AM

I have previously owned the Samsung Duocam, Panasonic DV953and the Fisher Cameracorder in my attempts to combine still and video. I have owned the Optiomx for about a week and played around with it a good bit. I'll let Steve do the full review but here is a quick snapshot from my impressions. I don't have time to post video.

Positives: The form factor, still pictures are about average for a dedicated 3MP still camera, video is acceptible even at 640x480-best resolution-15fps (this is what I shoot at), the audio only mode works well for recording speeches, good menu controls including a 5 way rocker. Video compression is great. Battery life is good.

Negatives: There is a noise in the background of the video like the autofocus or camera writing to the memory card. You must be very still on the still shots or it will be out of focus (needs optical stabilization), flash doesn't auto pop up and is hard to push the button for, no low light focus assist and video gets grainy in low light, I personally don't like lens caps, would prefer an auto closing and opening cap.

Summary: This is the first device that I have used that has successfully combinedstill andmemory card videoin my opinion. I returned the Fisher camera but am keeping the Optiomx. If you are on the fence my opinion would be to buy the camera at $349 (have seen on web for that price w/ no shipping). Shutter lag time is as following. From pushing the on button to taking the picture takes 5 secs and then it is 3 secs between pictures. It feels average from the cameras I've used but may be slow compared to new technologies. I have 2 extra batteries that I bought for $10 each so for $20 I have enough batteries for 5 hours of video or 750 still pics. I also ordered a 1GB SD card which will hold 1,100 stills or 80 minutes of video at the settings I use.

Highlight: It has not been emphasized in the specs or description anywhere that I've read but the most important feature of this camera to me is it's video compression. I shoot my video at 1.5 Megabits per second and most digital cameras on the market at this quality shoots the video at 1.5 Megabytes per second (1 byte = 8 bits). This is of the utmost importance when you are limited by memory card size and is an issue when you store hours of video on your computer and you should back up that data regularly since that is your only copy and computers will crash sooner or later.

I have been waiting for a device like this for a long time as you can tell from the prior ones I've owned, I have read all I could find about new cameras coming too and this is the only one I've seen with this kind of still resolution, zoom and video compression. So if I were you I would take the plunge. I do believe Pentax or someone will fix the negatives I mentioned within the next 8 months, but for now this is the new standard. It's like my cell phone (Treo 600), it has bugs and needs improvements but it is the standard right now for an integrated cell phone.

jb30 Jul 24, 2004 2:19 AM

I have previously owned the Samsung Duocam, Panasonic DV953and the Fisher Cameracorder in my attempts to combine still and video. I have owned the Optiomx for about a week and played around with it a good bit. I'll let Steve do the full review but here is a quick snapshot from my impressions. I don't have time to post video.

Positives: The form factor, still pictures are about average for a dedicated 3MP still camera, video is acceptible even at 640x480-best resolution-15fps (this is what I shoot at), the audio only mode works well for recording speeches, good menu controls including a 5 way rocker. Video compression is great. Battery life is good.

Negatives: There is a noise in the background of the video like the autofocus or camera writing to the memory card. You must be very still on the still shots or it will be out of focus (needs optical stabilization), flash doesn't auto pop up and is hard to push the button for, no low light focus assist and video gets grainy in low light, I personally don't like lens caps, would prefer an auto closing and opening cap.

Summary: This is the first device that I have used that has successfully combinedstill andmemory card videoin my opinion. I returned the Fisher camera but am keeping the Optiomx. If you are on the fence my opinion would be to buy the camera at $349 (have seen on web for that price w/ no shipping). Shutter lag time is as following. From pushing the on button to taking the picture takes 5 secs and then it is 3 secs between pictures. It feels average from the cameras I've used but may be slow compared to new technologies. I have 2 extra batteries that I bought for $10 each so for $20 I have enough batteries for 5 hours of video or 750 still pics. I also ordered a 1GB SD card which will hold 1,100 stills or 80 minutes of video at the settings I use.

Highlight: It has not been emphasized in the specs or description anywhere that I've read but the most important feature of this camera to me is it's video compression. I shoot my video at 1.5 Megabits per second and most digital cameras on the market at this quality shoots the video at 1.5 Megabytes per second (1 byte = 8 bits). This is of the utmost importance when you are limited by memory card size and is an issue when you store hours of video on your computer and you should back up that data regularly since that is your only copy and computers will crash sooner or later.

I have been waiting for a device like this for a long time as you can tell from the prior ones I've owned, I have read all I could find about new cameras coming too and this is the only one I've seen with this kind of still resolution, zoom and video compression. So if I were you I would take the plunge. I do believe Pentax or someone will fix the negatives I mentioned within the next 8 months, but for now this is the new standard. It's like my cell phone (Treo 600), it has bugs and needs improvements but it is the standard right now for an integrated cell phone.

jb30 Jul 24, 2004 10:18 AM

2 more things:

The camera is now on sale for $329 on several sites I said $349 before, you can find them using froogle.com . You definitely can't beat it at this price.

Another negative is you have to press the shutter twice to take a picture. Half way down and wait for the frame to turn green then all the way down to capture. If you just press it all the way down initially it will not take. This is okay if you know how to work it but if you tell somebody to take a picture for you on vacation they will get confused. The first two people that I let try to take pictures with it thought they took the picture and didn't, that's not good. I also owned the Canon Powershot S1, it had the same video compression problem that the others on the market have (over 5Mbps storage rate instead of less than 2). Like I said before this is still the best all in one that I have owned and is the current standard to beat.

pentaxfan Jul 24, 2004 6:14 PM

Steve,

Can you please also comment whether the optio mx can take Rechargeable CR-V batteries during your review

Thanks

pentaxfan