Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/)
-   -   70-200mm Sigma or Tamron (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/70-200mm-sigma-tamron-209746/)

Photo 5 Jan 18, 2014 10:19 AM

70-200mm Sigma or Tamron

I have a K-3 and looking for a 70-200mm f/2.8. I have finally decided after being on fence for 15 months this is the kind of lens I want. I am leaning toward Tamron (based on price and some reviews that say its optically better than the Sigma) but I want to hear from anyone who has a 70-200 f/2.8, what brand they use and how it works (focus, speed, sharpness etc). Main uses would be airplane photos, sports (tennis, baseball and soap box derby), plus a few wedding a years.

I already have a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4; Sigma 18-250mm and Pentax 50mm f/1.4.

Thanks in advance

Old Boat Guy Jan 20, 2014 7:03 AM

Not sure how much help this might be but I have the Sigma version that I have been quite happy using. Mine is the f/2.8 APO HSM EX non-OS version for Sony/Minolta. Autofocus is much faster than the Minolta version I used prior to this lens. Quieter and lighter as well.

If one is not opposed to buying used the non-OS version of this lens can be had for much less than current MSRP

I cannot speak to the technical aspects of one over the other but will be happy to wander around today and get a few shots for your critique. Give me an idea of what you would like to see and I will work on it. MLK day shuts down most everything around here so wandering around with the camera a bit is just the thing to get me out of my office.

I find the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 APO HSM EX to be more comfortable for working length indoors if my Tamron 15-50 f/2.8 is not enough. I think I remember you and TCav talking about your 50-150 possibly acting as a bellows to suck dirt into your body. (camera body :eek:) For that reason I am careful where I use the 50-150 and have not noticed any dust issues.

Steve

If you are not opposed to buying used there is an auction site with the non-OS Sigma for the same or a bit less than the Tamron new.

TCav Jan 20, 2014 9:15 AM

Unfortunately, the newer Tamron 70-200/2.8 Di USD lens is not available for the Pentax Mount, and the Tamron 70-200/2.8 Di LD that is available uses the body's AF motor, and so is not as fast to focus as the Sigma HSM lens.

DxOMark has tested both the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM and the Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) on the Nikon D7100, which uses the same 24MP Sony image sensor as the Pentax K-3. According to them, the Sigma is much sharper and has less distortion. (Vignetting and CA are comparable.)

Old Boat Guy Jan 20, 2014 5:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a dog shot. Simple re size. No crop

Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM APO EX non-os. Sony A-550

Old Boat Guy Jan 20, 2014 5:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a second shot. I was sitting in the shop with her on a lead.

Again there is no crop just a re-size for the site limits

JohnG Jan 21, 2014 6:31 AM

Yep, sigma is the way to go given what TCAV pointed to. Tamron revamped their lens design, but neither their latest, nor Sigma's latest 70-200 2.8 offerings are available in Pentax mount. Sigma is going to be the better option.

TCav Jan 21, 2014 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 1366494)
Tamron revamped their lens design, but neither their latest, nor Sigma's latest 70-200 2.8 offerings are available in Pentax mount.

While Sigma doesn't list their latest 70-200/2.8 with an available Pentax mount, they used to offer it, and it seems B&H still has some in stock.

Photo 5 Jan 23, 2014 11:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I did not chime in sooner but have been having loads of trouble trying to get logged in to here and resetting my password. I have ordered a Sigma from bhphotovideo. They know I have concerns about it working and focusing fast (and that I was also looking at Tamron) and they said I will have 45 days to play with it and if it is not what I need I can return it for another one or refund. They told me over thr phone they have 4 of them in stock and their not selling fast, they sell more of the Tamrons for Pentax (3 to 1) and have not had any of the Tamron's returned in last 6 months, this person said 2 of the sigma's sold were returned for full refunds in the last 6 months. Thanks again for the exccellent info and picture sample.

Photo 5 Jan 23, 2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy (Post 1366421)
I find the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 APO HSM EX to be more comfortable for working length indoors if my Tamron 15-50 f/2.8 is not enough. I think I remember you and TCav talking about your 50-150 possibly acting as a bellows to suck dirt into your body. (camera body :eek:) For that reason I am careful where I use the 50-150 and have not noticed any dust issues.

Yes that was a major issue and I sold the 50-150 over a year ago as well as my tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 that ended up not being wide enough for group shot at weddings I wanted the f/2.8 lens for and had the camera I was using cleaned. None of the 3 lenses I have no cause any dust issues (although I blow it out with blowr ever 2 weeks)

Photo 5 Jan 23, 2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 1366494)
Yep, sigma is the way to go given what TCAV pointed to. Tamron revamped their lens design, but neither their latest, nor Sigma's latest 70-200 2.8 offerings are available in Pentax mount. Sigma is going to be the better option.

Coming from you backed up by T-Cav you sold me on the Sigma, I will let you know how it goes/ I totally respect the two of you and all your advise. You both seems to be spot on most of the time if not all the time........

TCav Jan 24, 2014 8:00 AM

Unfortunately, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS HSM is one of LensRentals' least reliable lenses. Remember that, as rentals, their lenses undergo more use, abuse and rough handling during shipment, than most lenses, so this may not apply to your situation.

Since you've got 45 days, use that time to put that lens through its paces.

Photo 5 Jan 25, 2014 11:59 AM

Not sure which version exactly I have coming. I ened up not ordering from bhphotovideo and used the same shop that sold me by K-5, K-5ii and K-3. They were able to offer me $50 off the lens over bh and $25 off a UV filter. They told me that their national supplier of Sigma lenses would send it to the shop and they'd mail it to me. It is due on the 28th according to the tracking numbers. If it arrives Tuesday I will be able to test it Wednesday. If it arrives Wednesday I wouldn't be able to fully test it until Saturday. I will do my best to post a few samples hereafter testing and conversion from raw to jpg (I always shoot RAW).

They also told me I have 45 days to test it and get it back to them if its not what I need or doesn't work out being sharp etc. So once it arrives I will be shooting a load of images with it over the course of my days off of work over a 3 week period.........

Photo 5 Jan 28, 2014 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a sample from my new 70-200. At first I had focusing issues as all it wanted to focus on was the falling snow and everything was out of focus. I played with it for two hours and finally got it to make some good images. I only saved about 54% of the total images as the rest were trash/out of focus etc. The more played with it the higher % were keepers. I need to test it more when it stops snowing to make sure their is not a serious focusing issue with it.

I had to very heavily compress this image to get it small enough to post. Original image was 6.5MB. Take with 70-200/K-3 (taken in raw and converted to jpg) and unedited before the heavy compression and resized in PhotoShop Elements. Photo from Decatur GA (outside of Atlanta) where is snowed today.

Photo 5 Feb 4, 2014 10:36 AM

Update: I took approx 1300 photos at the airport yesterday. Had few times where focus got screwed up and the lens had to completely reset the focus and zoomed in and out for few seconds to lock back into focus. Of the photos I took 10% had focus issues of one sort or another - not motion or hand held blur but AF/focus issues. I have deleted all the bad photos at this point and working on the good ones in lightroom now. As for the AF and Focus issues I played around with center point, selected point and all points in AF and it didn't seem to matter. Also if the first image in a burst was in Focus I could fire off 5fps for 30 frames and every one was in focus with the plane landing or taking off. Also the focusing issues are the images are not in focus plain and simple it doesn't appear to be a front or rear focusing issue just that the lens for what ever reason did not auto focus as it should have. Will be investigating more and shooting more tomorrow.

Will try to post a couple of good sots tonight

Old Boat Guy Feb 4, 2014 8:14 PM

Which OS did you use? When trying an OS version on my Sony the lens was not happy when I used the in-body OS over the in lens system.

Dual OS systems regardless of which one is used (never both at once) has never been a good idea with my camera.

jelow1966 Feb 5, 2014 9:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo 5 (Post 1367516)
Update: I took approx 1300 photos at the airport yesterday. Had few times where focus got screwed up and the lens had to completely reset the focus and zoomed in and out for few seconds to lock back into focus. Of the photos I took 10% had focus issues of one sort or another - not motion or hand held blur but AF/focus issues. I have deleted all the bad photos at this point and working on the good ones in lightroom now. As for the AF and Focus issues I played around with center point, selected point and all points in AF and it didn't seem to matter. Also if the first image in a burst was in Focus I could fire off 5fps for 30 frames and every one was in focus with the plane landing or taking off. Also the focusing issues are the images are not in focus plain and simple it doesn't appear to be a front or rear focusing issue just that the lens for what ever reason did not auto focus as it should have. Will be investigating more and shooting more tomorrow.

Will try to post a couple of good sots tonight

I have had the same 2 issues with my Sigma 135-400 but had always put the focusing issues down to using it on an older body. Obviously not the problem in your case. I quit using it because I was losing too many shots waiting for the thing to rack thru the entire focus range again when it was a millimeter from locked on to start with.

John

TCav Feb 5, 2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo 5 (Post 1367516)
... Had few times where focus got screwed up and the lens had to completely reset the focus and zoomed in and out for few seconds to lock back into focus. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelow1966 (Post 1367592)
... I quit using it because I was losing too many shots waiting for the thing to rack thru the entire focus range again when it was a millimeter from locked on to start with.

It's a little disappointing that the lens needs to "reboot" occasionally.

Old Boat Guy Feb 5, 2014 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCav (Post 1367604)
It's a little disappointing that the lens needs to "reboot" occasionally.

I would not have said "reboot" but you are correct.

Remember when I bought this same lens? You gave me the lens guide to never buy an OS lens with a OS body

TCav Feb 6, 2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy (Post 1367625)
Remember when I bought this same lens? You gave me the lens guide to never buy an OS lens with a OS body

The newer stabilized Sigma 70-200/2.8 is a lot sharper than the older unstabilized Tamron 70-200/2.8, especially when paired with 16MP and 24MP sensors. It's unfortunate that Sigma's stabilization gets in the way, but the image quality is superior.

Photo 5 Feb 6, 2014 12:15 PM

I have a non OS model (which is the current offering that will mount to a Pentax) and OS turned on in the body. It is very interesting after more testig that my 18-250mm focuses faster and gets more useable shots. But with that said the shots with the 70-200 are just a tad sharper over all (before any editing is done). I will be testing again next week and if it not better it will go back, maybe try a Tamron or maybe get another Sigma as swap out not sure right at the moment. Also it doesn't seem to matter what focal range of f/s I am using. Seems to be totally random as it did it for both flying-faster moving items and slower moving items. However on still items (park planes) it was not an issue.

I do like TCav wording of reboot. a 2.5 to 3.5 second reboot and I am good to focus the lens again.

TCav Feb 6, 2014 1:19 PM

The Sigma 70-200/2.8 has been available in a number of different guises over the years. The current version has a Product Code (the first 3 digits of the part number) of 589 and the one for the Pentax Mount (109, for a complete part number of 589109) is stabilized. (I'm pretty certain this is the one I pointed to at B&H in an earlier post.) and is the one that's better than the unstabilized Tamron. Prior versions have Product Codes of 579, 569, 568, 567, and 566, none of which are stabilized, and only a few of which were available with a Pentax Mount. These versions are all inferior to the unstabilized Tamron.

Photo 5 Feb 6, 2014 11:29 PM

mine is a 569 (2012 manufacturer date) and Sigma is telling me direct via e-mail there is no 589 for Pentax since the Pentax mount is un-stabilized because the body is stabilized

TCav Feb 7, 2014 5:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo 5 (Post 1367706)
... Sigma is telling me direct via e-mail there is no 589 for Pentax ...

There isn't now, but there used to be. That's why B&H still has some in stock.

TCav Feb 8, 2014 6:44 AM

I just googled "589109", Sigma's part number for their stabilized 70-200/2.8 for the Pentax Mount, and apparently Adorama and 42nd St. Photo have some in stock too, despite the fact that it's been out of production for some time.

Photo 5 Feb 8, 2014 12:41 PM

TCav thanks for checking I will be contact the shop I bought it at to see if they can get a 589 version or if I can get full refund and head that way. Also I would never trust 42nd st photo heard too many bad things about them.

TCav Feb 8, 2014 5:08 PM

While I'm certain that the 589 will be sharper than the 569 you've got now, I don't know if the AF will perform more reliably. Good luck.

Photo 5 Feb 11, 2014 11:26 AM

Sigma will not directly replace the lens with a new model they suggest I contact the shop to return it and then buy a newer version which they say is not available through them...... The shop claims they can not get the newer version for me So I might be returning it after the ice storm passes and looking for the newer version. Thanks for the info.

Photo 5 Feb 15, 2014 12:58 PM

Well this is a shock. I am returning the lens for a full refund for the shop I got it at since they can not get me the lens replacement I want but when I got in contact with bhphotovideo they strongly recommend based on my camera model and issues I was having to go with the Tamron. In fact they told me they have more of the Sigma 70-200 than the Sigma's returned to them for issues. They didn't feel comfortable selling me another Sigma but if I ordered they would send it so milling over what to do now. I then asked the million dollar question does anyof your staff shot Pentax so they culd tell me 100% direct how the lenses compare. No idea but I will find out and get back to you.

TCav Feb 15, 2014 1:09 PM

Save yourself the trouble. Get the Tamron. It's not bad.

Photo 5 Feb 16, 2014 2:34 AM

TCav I will get a Tamron ordered on Monday and like they said if it doesn't perform better I can return it.

Photo 5 Feb 23, 2014 11:30 AM

Well Tamron arrived Friday while at work. Will be testing it out this week when I am off work. The few test images I did around here (very limited) show it to be much quicker to focus. Go-figure after all the advise and price point. Will report back later in the week. So far has not had to hunt or recycle to find focus. Then again I only too 30 shots. The Simga in the first 30 shot recycled 2 times, but a real world outing with 300 photos will tell a better story

TCav Feb 23, 2014 7:45 PM

Good luck with it.

Old Boat Guy Feb 24, 2014 7:41 AM

Good luck with the new lens. As a duly ordained Pastafarian minister I could bless it for you.

Photo 5 Mar 8, 2014 8:32 AM

The Tamron is working much better than the Sigma. I did some testing with it over the last 2 weeks without any major issues (a few times it hunted for focus but not as much as the Sigma). I will be shooting my brothers kids soccer game this morning with it. Hpefully within a couple of days (gong to work after the game) I will be able to put up a sample image or two.

Photo 5 Mar 8, 2014 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sample taken with he Pentax K-3 and Tamron 70-200. I used it to photograph a soccer game Saturday and shot 900 images and saved 368 of them (almost 750 of them very excellent in focus etc but lack action or the ball or something didn't look right so I got rid of them and just saved the best of). Note imagr heavily compressed and resized to fit here. It looks even better unaltered.

Great lens on the K-3 -- camera in Shutter P mode, AF-C, high speed burst, keeping shutter speed above 1/800 the entire game (varied shutter and aperture settings).

Dave

Old Boat Guy Mar 9, 2014 5:15 PM

Great you like the new lens. Seems the faster the action the more detail oriented we must be to our settings.

Looks good. Steve

Photo 5 Mar 10, 2014 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy (Post 1369665)
Great you like the new lens. Seems the faster the action the more detail oriented we must be to our settings.

Looks good. Steve

The Tamoran is much beter than the Sigma hands down on my Pentax K-3