Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/)
-   -   Pentax *ist D SLR lense choice (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/pentax-%2Aist-d-slr-lense-choice-158689/)

Rammer47 Aug 20, 2009 7:01 PM

Pentax *ist D SLR lense choice

Just purchased a Pentax *ist D SLR body and need a lens or lenses.
I understand it is a "K Mount" body.
What terms should I be using when searching for a lens that will fit this body?
Do all "K Mount" lenses fit this camera?

I am trying to search Steve's site for high rated lenses but am not sure what terms I should be looking for.

Any suggestions for a good zoom in the 28 - 136mm range?
Many thanks,

superakuma Aug 20, 2009 8:43 PM

Here is the Pentax Bible
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
Click on the Lens and it will tell you about all the lens that Pentax ever made.

To answer your question, yes all K-mount lens will work. Some will work with some limitation. If you are getting all AF lens you shouldn't have any problem.

Pentax has a 18-250mm lens for about $470 at bhphoto. It is a good all around lens if you don't want to swap lens.

If that camera came with the stock 18-55mm lens you can get the Pentax DA 55-200mm lens for about $200.

If you want to look at 3rd party lens like Sigma and Tamron, they have a large selection of lens to pick from. A good and cheap all around lens that I would recommend would be from Sigma 28-200mm lens. I bought it from ebay for about $100 when I first bought my Pentax DS back in 04. I still use it today on my K20D when I go somewhere that is too troublesome to change lens.

All Pentax DA zoom lens are pretty good. The Pentax FA zoom lens are not that great, only a few are really good and they are really expensive.
If you go with Manual focus lens it opens up a lot more doors on what you can get. There are a lot of "gems" out there just need to know what you are looking for. Stick around this board for a while and you will see what I mean. There are man users on this board that will buy a lens for $50 at the flea market or garage sale and find it to be razor sharp.

snostorm Aug 20, 2009 8:56 PM

Hi Rammer47,

Some good recommendations from Saelee. One other that might be of interest, though not quite the range you mentioned on the long end, the Pentax FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5. It's very small and light (about kit lens size), sharp and contrasty, a bit faster than most consumer zooms, and usually priced between $120-160 USD used (new ones are no longer available AFAIK). I think that most were silver colored -- that was pretty much the only choice when I got mine.

There were two other FA 28-105s, but IIRC, they both had max aperture ranges of f4-5.6, and weren't as good optically as the f3.2-4.5, IMO.

Scott

bilybianca Aug 21, 2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammer47 (Post 993613)
What terms should I be using when searching for a lens that will fit this body?
Do all "K Mount" lenses fit this camera?

Welcome to the Friendly Pentax Forum, Rammer. You've got good info from Saelee and Scott, I'll just add on that.
The Pentax lenses with K-mount have different names depending on age and function.

DA: The most recent series, designed for the Pentax DSLRs.
D-FA: Designed for the digital bodies, but also works well with autofocus analog film bodies.
FA: Designed for the analog bodies, but can also be used without any restrictions on the digital ones.
F: Just like the FA series, the differences are of no interest today.
A: Manual focus lenses with electronic aperture control. Work very well on digital bodies. When using a flash there are some less important restrictions, and of course autofocus doesn't work.
M: Manual focus, manual aperture control. Can be used with the digital bodies, but it takes a bit of learning.
K: Just like the M lenses.
M42 screw mount: Can be used on digital, but with restrictions and you need a screw mount/k-mount adapter.

If the name includes a star (DA*, FA*, F*, A* or M*) it's a premium lens of supreme quality optically and mechanically. Unfortunately these lenses also come with an unpleasant price tag.

If you find a lens and have the opportunity to wait a few days before deciding, ask here before you buy. Older lenses (FA and older) are discussed on this page: http://stans-photography.info/

Kjell

VTphotog Aug 21, 2009 12:50 AM

I have the *ist D, also. I got it with the 18-35mm kit lens, and while it is a pretty good lens, it doesn't cover much range. My most used lens, the one I keep on the camera and only change for specific situations, is a Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8 - 4.5. It isn't a lightweight, and with the battery grip on the camera makes for a considerable load. The lens has been discontinued, but is available used on occasion, and can sometimes be found on e-bay.

brian

philneast Aug 21, 2009 2:30 AM

My first Pentax DSLR, teh *istDS came with a Sigma 18-125mm zomm as the kit lens.

This is reasonable for an everyday walk around lens and I still use it on my K10D

Rammer47 Aug 21, 2009 6:23 AM

Pentax *ist D SLR Lense Advice

Thanks to all! Wonderful advice! Nice to see such an active Forum.
Any other thoughts are welcome.
The body was available yesterday new for $35. @ PCConnection and I could not resist. I have a Spotmatic from 1969 and it still works fine.
Rammer47

philneast Aug 21, 2009 8:43 AM

If you get a 42mm screw to k mount adaptor you should be able to use your screw mount lenses from your spotmatic on your *istD

Rammer47 Aug 21, 2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilybianca (Post 993694)

DA: The most recent series, designed for the Pentax DSLRs.
D-FA: Designed for the digital bodies, but also works well with autofocus analog film bodies.
FA: Designed for the analog bodies, but can also be used without any restrictions on the digital ones.

Kjell

Since my wife will also be using the camera I want auto-focus capability. Am I correct that I need to stay with the above designations?
Thanks to all,

mtngal Aug 21, 2009 11:03 AM

Add to your list the F lenses also - they will AF.

penolta Aug 21, 2009 1:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammer47 (Post 993777)
Since my wife will also be using the camera I want auto-focus capability. Am I correct that I need to stay with the above designations?
Thanks to all,

Pentax lenses are among the very best, but you are not restricted to them. Sigma and Tamron have many good ones, many less expensive then the Pentax equivalents -as long as they are designated as AF (autofocus) in Pentax mount,they will work well with the *ist D, but those that have high speed or ultrasonic focusing motors (HSM, etc.) will only work with the mechanical screw focus of the *ist D. You will also be limited in the speed and capacity of the memory cards you can use.

This is a very good camera, by the way - I still have mine - even though it was Pentax's first DSLR, and you will probably out grow it eventually if you really get into digital photography.

Welcome to the forum.

Rammer47 Aug 21, 2009 1:23 PM

Too good to be true

Thank you all.
My $35 deal is off.
My PCConnect email this AM states:

Due to an unforeseen problem in data transmission, erroneous pricing appeared on our website for item # 6586612. Our system was unable to process any orders for those products due to those pricing errors and consequently, your order was cancelled as a result and the item has been removed from our website.

We reiterate our apologies for this inconvenience.

Thank you,
Customer Service

Not even a discount on my next order.
Oh well...if it LOOKS like too good a deal, IT PROBABLY IS.

penolta Aug 21, 2009 1:41 PM

Sounds more like PCDisconnect. A reputable firm would have to honor a completed sale for an advertised item (if they really had one or more new ones in the first place, which would be surprising at this date) and absorb the loss. If they gave you another offer, it would have been seen as an obvious bait-and-switch.

superakuma Aug 21, 2009 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammer47 (Post 993826)
Thank you all.
My $35 deal is off.
My PCConnect email this AM states:

Due to an unforeseen problem in data transmission, erroneous pricing appeared on our website for item # 6586612. Our system was unable to process any orders for those products due to those pricing errors and consequently, your order was cancelled as a result and the item has been removed from our website.

We reiterate our apologies for this inconvenience.

Thank you,
Customer Service

Sorry to hear that. I am not suprised they cancelled the order, heck I would buy one right now if it was for $35.

Not sure how much you where planning to spend on a Pentax dSLR camera but you can get a Factory Refurb K100D for $279.99 at bestbuy.com
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....rchterm=pentax
or a refurb K10D for $399.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218089166763

robar Aug 21, 2009 7:28 PM

i was getting ready to search for the seller.. new it was too good to be true..

VTphotog Aug 21, 2009 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammer47 (Post 993826)
Thank you all.
My $35 deal is off.

Complete bummer! I would grab another couple for 35 bucks each. Love the camera. The bells and whistles on the newer models don't interest me much.

brian

jnanpentaxfan Aug 24, 2009 3:57 PM

Just as an FYI, I have an ist Ds, a K100D, a K10D and a K7. I love the K7, really like the K10D, really like the ist Ds, but I'm not that hot on the K100D. It's much noisier than the ist series cameras and doesn't take as many frames per second in my practical experience. I'm just a novice at best and have just recently started trying to actually learn how to use these cameras, but for the money, I don't think you will be able to beat the K10D at the current price. Plus you won't have any lens limitations with the K10D. When/if you're ready, you'll be able to upgrade to the SDM/HSM type lenses (ultrasonic motors). I just recently got my first SDM lens (SDM DA* 200mm F2.8) and I'm really starting to get spoiled by the speedy and quiet focus. It's revolutionary! :cool2:

Jerry