Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Pentax Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/)
-   -   Swine flu. . . BAH! -- Avian LBA is the REAL problem (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/pentax-lenses-87/swine-flu-bah-avian-lba-real-problem-162130/)

snostorm Nov 10, 2009 6:42 PM

Swine flu. . . BAH! -- Avian LBA is the REAL problem

Hi All,

After the FA*300/2.8 cleaned out my LBA fund, I thought I might have finally gained some immunity to LBA -- but alas this is not the case.

For quite a while, I had strongly considered a Sigma EX 100-300 f4 APO (IF), but the consistently high prices (even for used ones) and the fact that I already owned an FA*300/4.5 always kept this "Jones" on the back burner. Then yesterday, I spied an ad on PF Marketplace for one @ $550. The seller stated that with his bodies, the lens BF'd at 50-75 feet to the point that the AF adjust could not correct. My first thought was that this wasn't a problem for me since I did most of my long lens shooting at less than 30 feet, and I'd probably use this lens with the 1.7x AFA, and it's had a history of resolving AF problems with other lenses. . . -- and then. . .

. . . Scott's LBA Devil :demon3: immediately appeared, PM'd the seller, committed to buying the lens, and asked for the sellers's Paypal email addy. The rest of the day is something of a fog -- there are a few momentary memories of logging on to Paypal, and copying and pasting an email address, but otherwise the whole day is a blur. . .but I slept well. . .

Then today, I see a Paypal notification email, and it says that my lens has been shipped!

I called the CDC (Center for Disease Control), and they laughed, stating that there was no vaccine, no treatment, and no cure -- and, in fact, there was no LBA -- and then they hung up. I called the White House, and they laughed, and said that consumer spending helped the economic recovery, and that LBA was a " vast Light-Wing conspiracy" or something like that. . .and then they hung up. I called the RNC (Republican National Committee for those not in the US), and they asked me what camera I was using -- when I said Pentax, they said they were against all "*-taxes". . . and then they hung up.

Then, I heard something that sounded like a shutter click in my head, and I stopped worrying and started thinking how it should only take a couple of days coming from Philly, and that with the DA 10-17 FE, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 100-300, and P F 1.7x AFA, I could cover 10mm FE to 510mm with quality optics with no gaps. . . and now I needed to look for a new bag to carry this kit. . .and how cool would a chocolate brown Kx with a grey grip look in that bag. . . I_AM_MUCH_HAPPIER_NOW

:demon3:I__have__come__to__the__conclusion__that__ LBA__is__ nothing__to__worry__about. . .:demon3:

Scott (I think. . .) :D

jnanpentaxfan Nov 10, 2009 7:51 PM

Sure cure for your current attacke of LBA: sell you FA* 300/2.8 to ME! ;-)

Seriously, what is PF Marketplace?

mtngal Nov 10, 2009 8:22 PM

:sport-smiley-004: Rotfl! Oh, boy, do you have it BAD! I thought I was a little nuts, but I think you have me beat! On the other hand, I'd have a really tough time saying no to that deal - well done!

penolta Nov 10, 2009 8:29 PM

Boy, have you got it bad! :eek: You are about to join the 4H club for incurable gamblers - Helpless, Hapless, Hopeless, and (about to be) Homeless. :speechless-smiley3: It isn't funny, but your account is hilarious, nonetheless! :laughing-smiley2:. You will be sure to let us know how the lens works out, won't you ? :confused-smiley:

VTphotog Nov 10, 2009 9:18 PM

Great story!
When my wife told me I could get another lens when pigs fly, I thought that was the end, but then, swine flu.:p

brian

Hards80 Nov 10, 2009 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTphotog (Post 1018835)
Great story!
When my wife told me I could get another lens when pigs fly, I thought that was the end, but then, swine flu.:p

brian

Clever......... :cool_shades:

penolta Nov 10, 2009 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTphotog (Post 1018835)
Great story!

brian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hards80 (Post 1018839)
Clever......... :cool_shades:

That one flu past me the first time! :doh:

bilybianca Nov 10, 2009 11:30 PM

Scott, just sit down and relax. I've called some nice men who will arrive in a special car with lights on the roof. They are soooo kind and they will give you this tiny, tiny injection and then all will be very nice and they will take you to a very nice house where you will be given a new comfortable green sortofsuit and there is beautiful music and you'll meet lots of new friends. Say hello to McMurphy from me!

Kjell

nhmom Nov 11, 2009 1:43 PM

Very funny, Scott. Even though I'm kind of out of it today, I had to laugh at this.

By the way, hopefully Kjell's shot doesn't hurt as much as the swine flu one. Had it yesterday. They said it might hurt and might cause flu-like symptoms today. Well, I get shots all the time and this one HURT! And, it has caused the flu-like symptoms today. But, I'm not being taken off anywhere. At least that I'm aware of in my loony state right now.

Patty

ennacac Nov 11, 2009 9:09 PM

Thanks Scott, I was looking at the same lens trying to justify a reason to purchase it, but you got it first and saved me.

Thanks again!

Tom

bigdawg Nov 11, 2009 10:06 PM

Way to go Scott!! Conquer by giving in I always say!! LOL It has been hard on me saving for a 600 f/4 ....I just saw a Vivitar 120-600 for sale.....Jeez I wish publisher's Clearing House would hurry up and knock on my door.....

Cerealy though (Wheaties are best )..Enjoy the decadence of so many fine lenses...I know I would!! LOL

mole Nov 12, 2009 5:21 AM

Scott - congratulations on your new acqisistion, and your seriously lightened wallet! Looking forward to seeing more of your great photos with this new lens (and hope you are recovering from your "illness"!!)

tsquare Nov 12, 2009 6:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnanpentaxfan (Post 1018805)
Sure cure for your current attacke of LBA: sell you FA* 300/2.8 to ME! ;-)

Seriously, what is PF Marketplace?

Pentax Forum Marketplace over at Pentax Forum. Another excellent Pentax site.

Old Engineer Nov 13, 2009 4:46 AM

You guys are toooo funny.
By the way, I own a pig that flys, I think. At least it has wings. It may take a long runway to become airborne, for it is made of cast iron.
I would include a picture of it, but he (I thin) is sleeping, and becomes irritable if awakened. Not wanting thirty pounds of iron banging my head, I guess I better go to sleep too,
Old Engineer

hinioman Nov 16, 2009 3:16 PM

Scott, I really enjoy the story and I can attest to the LBA bugs that I have no will power to say NO to a good lens with low price :D

If I ever find the cure or something that can slow down the urges besides cutting all credit cards and close paypal a/c, I will let you know. As of today, the only moderate idea for me is to sell the least like and least used lens to make room for the new comer once I manage to find one to be the candidate to go. Your mileage may vary. But I think I have a much bigger problems than yours. I have 7+ candidates and I put it off for next week. But that next week has never come so far for 6 months of buying and not selling a darn thing in my gear list.

Warmest,
Hin

Goldwinger Dec 31, 2009 11:45 PM

I have just what you need to haul[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG] all your lenses and gear around...

http://goldwinger.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p57264349-0.jpg That should take care of it! :D