Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 28, 2006, 3:28 PM   #1

I have a very nice Olympus TCON1.7 teleconverter I got, to use on my Fuji F602Z and it worked very well, giving x1.7 magnification. I have a 55mm to 52mm adapter to mount the converter on my new DA50-200mm lens. This teleconverter goes on the front on the lens, screwing on thefilter thread. It weighs over 9 ounces and is a pretty impressive piece of glass. It is about 4" long.

My question is, will this be to muchstrain for the 50-200? Maybe I should use it only in the manual focus mode. Has anyone tried this? I knowwe have several formerFuji user here. I've included a picture I took with this teleconverterwith my Fuji a couple years ago. These were a great camera in there time- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:57 PM   #2

Not sure if anyone is interested in this, but I put the Olympus TCON1.7 on my 50-200mm yesterday and took some pictures of Bighorn Sheep at 520mm. Here is one so you can see the results. The one thing I can say is the teleconverter is quite heavy (9 ounces), so I think I would use it in special circumstances only and not walk around with it on the camera.

The autofocus seems to work ok and you do not lose a stop like the rear mounted converter. If I found I needed a long focal length often, I thinkI would be betteroff getting a 300 or 400mm lens, which I am sure would be better, as I am concerned of the extra weight the converter puts on the AF mechanism. The snow made thecamera under expose on the sheep- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 2:33 PM   #3

Not too bad for a TC screwed to the front, but your focal length is 340mm not 520mm although your image crop is the same as a 510mm lens.

" The focal length of a lens is defined as the distance in mm from the optical center of the lens to the focal point, which is located on the sensor or film."

That distance does not change no matter what size sensor or negative you use.

Looks like it was an overcast day!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote