Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:16 AM   #11

Ok...I thought I was going to get the Pentax 50-200 for my zoom... but this has me rethinking it.l

I don't have kids in sports (yet) but they are in various plays and pageants. I'm not sure if I 'need' the extra 100mm...

Which would take sharper pics and be better in low light? The DA 50-200 or the Tamron 70-300??

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
Ok...I thought I was going to get the Pentax 50-200 for my zoom... but this has me rethinking it.l

I don't have kids in sports (yet) but they are in various plays and pageants. I'm not sure if I 'need' the extra 100mm...

Which would take sharper pics and be better in low light? The DA 50-200 or the Tamron 70-300??

The DA 50-200mm will probably be slightly brighter and sharper. The thing is, will it be enough of a difference to be really noticeable? I had to decide between those two lenses also and I chose the Tamron because the difference inclarity might be hard to tell, but having 50% more reach is very obvious. I don't think you will go wrong either way. I just knew from past experience that I wanted the 300mm (450mm film equiv) reach.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:37 AM   #13

Does anyone have both of these lenses to compare side by side?

I think I'd opt for better IQ than more reach.

But if the differences are minimal... than the 70-300 would make sense.

Arethere difference in the actual SIZES and weightof the lenses?
TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:57 AM   #14

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
I think I'd opt for better IQ than more reach.
So would I if the IQ on the Tamron was sub-par, but I really don't think it is. I'm very happy withthe shots (both indoors & outside) that I've gotten from it. Your best bet is view as many examples of photos from each lens as you can find, then make your decision. I saw loads of beautiful, clear shots from the Tamron before I made up my mind. Good luck in your decision. Like I said before, I don't think you can go wrong either way.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:44 PM   #15

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know that Pentax has some good offerings for telephoto as well. The quality looks very nice (and even a low quality DSLR lens will blow away my P850, haha).

inneyeseakay, I wish I could claim to be over in this neck of the woods. It will be at least a year until I can justify such an expensive purchase, but I figure if I work full-time this summer, I can get some extra cash and maybe upgrade to one of these entry-level DSLR's.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:58 PM   #16

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Link to my thread on the newer, cheaper, lighter FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8. I have taken some of my best shots at the long end of this lens. This is another example of a mediocre film lens (mainly due to lack of corner sharpness) making a very nice digital lens (the smaller sensor no longer stretches into that corner area).

Some of my better examples are:

and this:

and this:

Mine was second hand but there are still a few of these showing up at camera stores as new old stock.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 6:45 PM   #17

Hi,

Have you looked at the Pentax 80-320mm? It can be gotten in your price range.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2006, 7:12 PM   #18

Why nobody mentioned the prime lens K300 SMC F4? KEH has 2 pcs at around$172.00. With built-in S R, it offers a lot better than whatever coming from Canon/Nikon. If you can handle manual lens, that probably is another very decent alternative over more modern design, if not faster option (by almost 2 stops).

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 9:39 AM   #19

I concur with Rudy -- I have a used Pentax 80-320 that I think gives very good quality for a quite good price. Usually available at KEH.com. On the forums, it seems to have a reputation for slightly better image quality than the various Pentax 100-300s.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:43 PM   #20

dan-mx-ds2 wrote:
Quote:
I concur with Rudy -- I have a used Pentax 80-320 that I think gives very good quality for a quite good price. Usually available at KEH.com. On the forums, it seems to have a reputation for slightly better image quality than the various Pentax 100-300s.

Dan
A friend of mine has the 80-320 as well, it is a very nice lens (I would quickly replace my 100-300 with one if I could justify it)

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote