Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 1, 2007, 2:06 PM   #21

I also have the Pentax 80-320. Picked it up from B&H for about $135 couple years ago. Use it all the time. I think it's a great lens for a bargain price.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:20 PM   #22

i have the 80-320 too

and it gets lots of work

i picked it up from a pawn shop for $80au

i sure am happy with it

a 100%crop of a night photo
http://johndolphin.net/photos/details.php?image_id=967

the full shot
http://johndolphin.net/photos/details.php?image_id=975
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:56 PM   #23

Be aware that some models of the 80-320 (apparently the early black models, not the later silver ones) have some potential mechanical issues---the part of the lens which communicates the aperture to the camera is prone to break---there is a thread on this within the last week at DPReview.com.

I've seen a lot of bad things written about the Pentax 100-300 F5.6. Is the current version better than the one which has received so much criticism in the past?

The Sigma and Tamron 70-300 F5.6's are both good. They weigh twice as much as the 50-200 and are physically larger, and may not be quite as sharp---but the 50-200 is an extraordinary lens.

The manual 300mm F4 primes are a stop faster than the F5.6 zooms. All the ones I could find listed on photodo.com or eBay were weighing in the 900g range, roughly twice as much as the F5.6's and four times more than the 50-200. Cost for a model in good condition is over $200 (the $172 ones at K&H are in "bargain" condition). I chose the reduced weight, the slightly lower price and the versatility of a zoom over the one stop of speed, and have the Tamron 70-300 Di on order---the same $149 eBay deal mentioned above.

But I looked long and hard at those 300mm F4 primes. Weight and size were probably the major factors driving me toward the Tamron.

--Brett
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:16 PM   #24

try HERE
Old Jan 16, 2007, 6:27 PM   #25

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have both of these lenses to compare side by side?

I think I'd opt for better IQ than more reach.

But if the differences are minimal... than the 70-300 would make sense.

Arethere difference in the actual SIZES and weightof the lenses?
I have the Tamron 28-300 XR (non-DI) and the Pentax DA50-200. I see very little difference in the IQ of these two lenses. At extremes (contrast, zoom, aperture, etc), the Pentax may be slightly better, but the Tamron has given me some nice shots, and it's nice not having to switch lenses if I want to go wider than 50mm.

Check out my Flickr site if you want see some shots taken with both. The airshow shots were with the Tamron, and the zoo shots were with the Pentax. There are others scattered around there as well.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:08 PM   #26

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Why nobody mentioned the prime lens K300 SMC F4? KEH has 2 pcs at around$172.00. With built-in S R, it offers a lot better than whatever coming from Canon/Nikon. If you can handle manual lens, that probably is another very decent alternative over more modern design, if not faster option (by almost 2 stops).

Daniel

I bought one from them last month. It can take nice shots, but it can also show some bad chromatic aberrations. It's fairly large (~2lbs) but handles well, and if I can figure out how to stop the CA, I'd be even happier with it.

I recommend KEH as well. This lens was rated EX and it looked barely used at all. I have a Sigma 135-400 F/5.6 coming from them this week.

Russ
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:43 PM   #27

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Why nobody mentioned the prime lens K300 SMC F4? KEH has 2 pcs at around$172.00. With built-in S R, it offers a lot better than whatever coming from Canon/Nikon. If you can handle manual lens, that probably is another very decent alternative over more modern design, if not faster option (by almost 2 stops).

Daniel

I bought one from them last month. It can take nice shots, but it can also show some bad chromatic aberrations. It's fairly large (~2lbs) but handles well, and if I can figure out how to stop the CA, I'd be even happier with it.

I recommend KEH as well. This lens was rated EX and it looked barely used at all. I have a Sigma 135-400 F/5.6 coming from them this week.

Russ
Russ

I would love to hear your report of both lens at sayor 6.5 (for Sigma zoom that has to be almost wide open). That will be interesting. If I am correct, the CA should go away if you stop down to 5.6 or 6.5.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:48 AM   #28

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Russ

I would love to hear your report of both lens at sayor 6.5 (for Sigma zoom that has to be almost wide open). That will be interesting. If I am correct, the CA should go away if you stop down to 5.6 or 6.5.

Daniel
You're probably correct. I'll try to take some more shots under controlled conditions and see what happens. One of the reasons I bought the Sigma is that it's auto focus and I'm lazy like that. I have some good seats to the rodeo (indoors in Houston) in early March, and they allow photography. I'm going to take the 300 one night, and the Sigma the other night and see how they do. The lighting isn't usually the greatest, so we'll see how it does.

Russ
Old Jan 17, 2007, 8:21 AM   #29

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Russ

Daniel
You're probably correct. I'll try to take some more shots under controlled conditions and see what happens. One of the reasons I bought the Sigma is that it's auto focus and I'm lazy like that. I have some good seats to the rodeo (indoors in Houston) in early March, and they allow photography. I'm going to take the 300 one night, and the Sigma the other night and see how they do. The lighting isn't usually the greatest, so we'll see how it does.

Russ
Russ,

Suggestion: Do the comparison in absolutely controlled condition for both lenses.
Do the test in your home. Use tripod and 2s delay shutter to avoid any kind of camera shake which is important for testing 300mm shots.
Use the same aperture for both lenses . That is all. Not many people have the setup like yours. That will be a conclusive proof which is the better lens.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:40 PM   #30

Robertson wrote:
Quote:
but it can also show some bad chromatic aberrations. It's fairly large (~2lbs) but handles well, and if I can figure out how to stop the CA, I'd be even happier with it.

Russ
Russ,

CA is a piece of cake to get rid of in an image program that allows 'hue/saturation' adjustments. 30-45 sec is all it takes..

roy