Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1

I recieved a DA50-200mm lens and Gitzo monopod for Christmas. This was my first chance to get out and take some shots. We live about 10 miles from the game departments main feeding station at Oak creek, where they feed 1000's of Elk and some Big Horn Sheep to help them make itthrough the Winter. The sheep were fed about 4 hours earlier, so were pretty much heading back into the hills when I arrived, but the Elk had just been fed. It both amazing and humbling to see 1000's of these magnificent wild animals up close and in such good shape. My hats off to the Washington State game department - Bruce

This first picture is of a magnificent Big Horn ram heading up the hillside. He was so far away, you couldn't even see he had horns. This is a 100% crop and the snow caused the picture to under expose. This is one case where raw would have been a better choice. I'm very happy with the 50-200mm, even at a100% crop.

This shot is of a very nice spike Elk in good condition. You can see part of the feeding complex and barn in the background. I can promise you they are not this tame when you meetthem on the trail.

This next shot is of a magnificent bull that has seen many seasons. The hunters there watching were drooling over his size and rack. He has a radio collar on, so they can keep track of his range during the summer. What a majestic animal. You can see the old military 6x6 that they use tohaul the hay.

This last shot is of a mature cow that wanted to poise for me. When you see a herd in the Summer, it will usually be mostly cows and young ones, with maybe a big bull looking after them. This was a very dreay day, so I want to go back when the sun is out and get some more shots. The monopod worked out very well with this lens.

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:06 AM   #2

The fourth shot is my favorite - the rest of the herd behind her makes the shot very interesting! Thanks for posting them. -mutty
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3

Nice shots and I agree, that buck is an impressive animal.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4

nice,
a return trip in sunshine should produce some great images.

roy
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:07 PM   #5

Impressive pictures! The DA 50-200 is quite sharp, isn't it? Definitely looks like a great place to return to on a brighter day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 7:42 PM   #6

Yep Harriet, I really like the lens. All the great shots you posted helped me make up my mind on what I wanted. A perfect compliment to the DA18-55mm and about the same sizeand weight.

It was a perfect blue sky day in the morning and 8 degrees overnight, but by noon the clouds moved in and by 2:00, it looked like a storm was eminent. Never did snow though, but it was surecold shooting.I will try it again when the weather clears, such a great place to take pictures.

BTW, I alsoreceived a slingshot 100 and it is just right for my stuff as long as I don't get anymore lenses. I have five lenses, but the three M lenses don't take up much space. I think the 200 bag would be better if you have much stuff. I also found the Gitzo monopod Ireceived from my daughterfits just perfect through the sliplock strap on the front smallcover of the bag. I really look like a photographer with thathanging on the back. The monopod makes my DL work like a K100D and doubles as a walking stick. As you can see, I'm a happy camper, now all we need is some nicer weather- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote