Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:57 PM   #1

...how well did I do with the purchase of this lens?

In the limited experience that I have had with it, it has pleased me quite a bit. But one must understand that this is only my second DSLR. My first (E500) was outfitted with the kit lens, that I had just a few months of possession with, and my present lens (on my Pentax K10D) has really amazed me. But, I guess my question boils down to this: could I have done better than this lens, at about the same pricepoint ($459) - or a little more? I just wonder if I could have gotten a faster/sharper 'walk-a-round' lens for my camera.

I bought from a local camera shop, which only had the camera bodies and - as I was SO anxious to get started - I purchased the Tamron. I had previously heard some decent things about it, but am now wondering as to how well I really did. I am awaiting the arrival of my battery grip, from the same store, and (depending on the input that I get, here) will exchange this lens for another.

The 'spontaniety' behind this lens purchase is very uncharacteristic of me. Normally, I research - high & low - before I shell out monies for anything. I am not ashamed to admit that the Shutter-Bug-fever has got me - REAL GOOD :-), and that I need to grow within the concerns of 'patience'.

I am hoping to find that my lens is a well (hopefully, highly) - regarded one, by you guys & gals. If not, I'll see what I can do about the seller ordering a different one for me.

Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:35 PM   #2

images????????

roy
maybe i missed them nathan
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:06 AM   #3

Nathan, I've been playing around with that lens now for a week, not that the weather allowed much real good shots i'm verry happy with it. Not that I have much experience with other lenses this being my first dslr. For me it's a perfect walk around lens, to be able to get from 18 to 200mm is great.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:19 AM   #4

Hi Nathan,

I use the Sigma 28-200mm for my walk around lens. If I need wider then I put the 18-55 kit lens on. I also use my 28-70mm and for the long end right now I have my Sigma 70-300mm APO.

I would use the lens as you have said that it is doing well for you. In time you find that it does not meet your needs then sell it on eBay and get one that fits your needs. Take you time in buying lenses. There are a great number of very good ones on the market.

You have to find what your niche is and that will help you to pick out the lenses that will help you to get the results you are trying to acheive.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:03 PM   #5

NLAlston wrote:
Quote:
It would be really informative to see some images from this lens. I was tempted but declined after a few sample shots and opted for a Pentax DA 50-200mm to compliment my Pentax DA 18-55mm.

I use a Sigma 28-135mm as a general walk about lens which is not too bad in terms of optical quality but would like the extended range that the Tamron potentially offers.

Could you post a selection of images - pretty, please.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:07 PM   #6

Hi Rudy,

You are absolutely right, about taking the time to find out what it is that I may need. The lens that I have seem to be a nice one, and I guess I can say that I am happy with it. But this is coming from a relative newbie, who may have found favor in practically anything :-) over and above the kit lens on my previous camera (that I really didn't get a chance to use very much). I really don't envision a problem, though, in making this lens work for me. Now, it is a matter of finding the fastest lens I can afford, for night-time shots. I should have at least $1500 to spend on such a lens, and a flash unit for my camera. I will slow down after this :-) (for a while, at least).

Blessings,

Nathan

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi Nathan,

I would use the lens as you have said that it is doing well for you. In time you find that it does not meet your needs then sell it on eBay and get one that fits your needs. Take you time in buying lenses.

Rudy
Old Jan 1, 2007, 5:14 PM   #7

Catbells,

I will be getting out, a bit, on tomorrow - and will get some shots while moving about. I promise to do my best and have something uploaded, here, by tomorrow evening. Please don't expect too much, because I am nowhere near the photographer that I hope to (one day) be. Just remember this, OK? :-)

Blessings,

Nathan

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
NLAlston wrote:
Quote:
It would be really informative to see some images from this lens. I was tempted but declined after a few sample shots and opted for a Pentax DA 50-200mm to compliment my Pentax DA 18-55mm.

I use a Sigma 28-135mm as a general walk about lens which is not too bad in terms of optical quality but would like the extended range that the Tamron potentially offers.

Could you post a selection of images - pretty, please.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:17 PM   #8

here`s a couple of pics I`ve tken with my Tamron 18-200, on my ist DS, and a Sigma DG flash. All in all, I`m very pleased with this combination.
Attached Images

PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:20 PM   #9

another
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:35 PM   #10

another
Attached Images