Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:18 PM   #21

I had a low-end 100-300 that I thought was sharp until I got my hands on the APO DG 70-300. I would recommend it to anyone, you can not beat this lens for $220-250

Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 7:00 AM   #22

this thread is 9 months old. royce does't evev post here anymore. someone went thru a lot of posts just to find it.

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:56 PM   #23

Nick's alot easier to type than inneyeseakay. :-)

Thanks for your input, think I'll look into getting myself one. Saw one at 47th Street (or something like that) for $200.00
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:58 PM   #24

if you spell inneyeseakay phonically..
what do you get??

it's very good,
arohwi
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 5:37 PM   #25

robar wrote:
Quote:
what do you get??

it's very good,
arohwi
I've called him Inn for years now but I've always know the phonetic use of his Handle.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 8:16 PM   #26

PinonMesaJon wrote:
Quote:
Hi Royce,

First I'd like to say, relatively speaking, you're right in my backyard! I live in Wrightwood and work at Boeing in Huntington Beach.
Royce or Hung has switched to Canon gear. In terms of quality telezooms , Pentax has nothing almost. I am doing what Royce was doing/trying back in late 06 and early 07 - practicing shots on seagulls (in flight). But I am using a Pentax manual A300mmF4 though.
See http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...801572#p801572

Quote:

I'm new on the forum; just got my K10D a few weeks ago. I'm truly amazed by that Sigma APO 70-300 lens. Your shots and inneyeseakay's shot's are the clearest I've seen. What a difference a lens makes. I'm considering getting one. I've got the Pentax FA-J 75-300, and the clarity just doesn't seem to be there. Anyone have any opinions regarding the differences between these 2 lenses?

BTW, I really liked the second shot with sun glistening (it looks like) translucently through that fish! Superb shot.
I had that FAJ before. Make sure you are using F8 - F11. And if possible do not go over 250mm which means that you will have to shoot exclusively in good light/sunlight. You are using K10D and there is some maneuvre room for cropping. That lens has high magnification factor of 0.3 which is rare.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:46 PM   #27

robar wrote:
Quote:
this thread is 9 months old. royce does't evev post here anymore. someone went thru a lot of posts just to find it.

roy
Well, that's what the forum moderators suggested doing; search through the old posts as opposed to asking for information that's already been posted. Just trying to keep the millions of posts here down to a minimum!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:48 PM   #28

robar wrote:
Quote:
what do you get??

it's very good,
arohwi
Yeah; well, after figuring that out, I wanted to keep looking like an idiot to a minimum, r_o_y ! :idea:
Old Sep 25, 2007, 5:52 PM   #29

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
...In terms of quality telezooms , Pentax has nothing almost. I am doing what Royce was doing/trying back in late 06 and early 07 - practicing shots on seagulls (in flight). But I am using a Pentax manual A300mmF4 though.

I had that FAJ before. Make sure you are using F8 - F11. And if possible do not go over 250mm which means that you will have to shoot exclusively in good light/sunlight. You are using K10D and there is some maneuvre room for cropping. That lens has high magnification factor of 0.3 which is rare.

Daniel, Toronto
Seriously now, Thanks Daniel.

I, too, have an old Pentax-A - a 70-210 f/4 that has been outperforming the FAJ for my purposes.

As you say, keeping the aperature at f/8-f/11 and under 250mm help, but is pretty much useless for trying to freeze birds in flight! I'll be investing in that Sigma APO asap!

BTW, nice shots!