Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 3, 2007, 3:01 AM   #11

I can only speak for the sigma 70-300 apo dg macro. I don't have any experience with the Tamron so I can't make any comparisons. Having said that, I love my sigma. I think its a great lens for outdoor photography. Here are some of my thoughts and experiences with this lens in particular:

1) It is sharpest at f8. Wide open it is a bit soft. However the trade off is that at f8, even at its longest focal length (300mm) it deliveres incredibly sharp photos. The majority of my photos are taken at 300mm and I have been impressed. It consistently delivers excellent photos.

2) It's a long lens when fully extended. With the hood on, it's like walking around with a bazooka. However, it is a well made lens, sturdy, but light enough to hike around with and handhold for shots. I like the feel of it's exterior finish, very professional and not cheapy plastic.

3) The lens motor is noisy. Pretty loud actually. The funny thing was that I never noticed it until I was at a wildlife preserve at the crack of dawn surrounded by other photographers. All was quiet and when we saw a pelican flying in, everybody started shooting. I think everybody else was using silent lenses with ultrasonic motors. My lens sounded a bit like a drill. Noisy but not loud enough to scare of wildlife...at least not yet.

4) Like I mentioned before it is quite a versatile lens. I use it for birding, portraits, sports photography and macros.

5) Needing to stop down to f8 to get the sharpest photos means that this lens needs alot of light.

6) It hunts a bit when trying to shoot flying birds, but considering the price of this lens I'm ok with it. You really cant compair it to much high priced lens with ultrasonic motors.

Here's a link to all of my pics taken with this lens and the k100d.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10...7594383798410/

Hope this helps.

- royce10
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:33 AM   #12

At this point in my life, I would need zoom reach in indoor, low light situations.

So would this mean I'd be better off with the DA 50-200? I hear it's great in low light and that the 70-300 zooms are better outdoors in bright light (?)

Any suggestions? I could always crop from the 50-200 to get closer in. :?

TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:45 AM   #13

TN Mary wrote:
Quote:
At this point in my life, I would need zoom reach in indoor, low light situations.

So would this mean I'd be better off with the DA 50-200? I hear it's great in low light and that the 70-300 zooms are better outdoors in bright light (?)

Any suggestions? I could always crop from the 50-200 to get closer in. :?

The 70-300mm lenses aren't bad indoors. Check out the first 2 shots in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

They were both taken indoors at over 90 feet away. They were hand-held at 300mm with really poor indoor lighting. Of course anything closer or with better lighting would look even better. The third shot was outside at 300mm at dusk.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 8:18 PM   #14

Royce10,

Great shots. I'm fairly new to this site, but I have to say, you're photos have really impressed me. I'll be purchasing a K10D very soon and hope to be able to take some quality shots also. I'm hoping the K10D will be as good as your K100D. It will be my first DSLR. :-) I guess my lens search will start very soon. If you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I think my camera will come with a kit 18-55. Great job, royce10.

Jay D :|
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:32 AM   #15

Hi,

The Tamron with the LD in the name should be the higher end version as it has the Low Dispersion Glass Like the the Sigma SLD elements in the APO Version.

This help or are you now totally confused???? Tamron to my knowledge has a Six year warranty verses Sigmas (I think 1 year and 4 year for the EX line).

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 1:59 PM   #16

The Tamron is lighter - that can make a difference for a walk around lens.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 3:03 PM   #17

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

The Tamron with the LD in the name should be the higher end version as it has the Low Dispersion Glass Like the the Sigma SLD elements in the APO Version.

This help or are you now totally confused???? Tamron to my knowledge has a Six year warranty verses Sigmas (I think 1 year and 4 year for the EX line).

Rudy
Ok so i should look for the ld one, and im not confused:G
And the bigger warranty is also good! thanks for this information!
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:15 PM   #18

Here are a couple shots with the Tamron 70-300.
Attached Images

okcameradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:16 PM   #19

and one more. on both of these shots, these are just resized, no post processing or cropping so you can judge for yourself.
Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:25 PM   #20

oh, i just can't stop posting.. but this is the last one (for now at least)! i had to share my giant panda pics! And on the Tamron lens, this is the lowly budget line with a conventional lens, this does have the LD designation and does include macro 1:2 capability. the better lens which is slightly more expensive is the Di version of lens where the glass is supposed to be better for digital slr cameras, but I have had pretty good results with the standard conventional lens. Can't complain for less than $150.

Attached Images