Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2007, 12:28 AM   #1

OK just a quick one. SIgma apo 70-300mm vs Tamron 70-300mm, which would you personally choose, or do you think i should just get the one thats cheaper:G
thanks for all of your help!
hoodsa

hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:21 AM   #2
TDN

royce10 has gotten some amazing results with the sigma APO...I'd get that one
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:44 AM   #3

Hi,

There are two models for both brands. Sigma has the cheaper version without the SLD elementsand the APO version which has them. The Tamron is the same way. I had the cheaper one on my Canon. I just had to watch when I shoot in High Contrast areas. Same with the Tamron.

Either brand is good. They are very close with the out put. It would be a personal choice as to which brand is better.Either wayI would go with the higher end version of either.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 7:49 AM   #4

It would be hard to say without seeing several shots from each for comparison. Of course, being a buyer by profession, I would also like to compare price, warranty, features and "feel".

With that said, I wasn't able to put my hands on the Sigma for a comparison. I purchased the Tamron 70-300mm Di and I am very impressed with it. If you decide you like the Sigma, I was told that the Ritz Camera store brand "Quantaray" lenses are made by Sigma. They might save you a few dollars.

*edit.. I just noticed that you aren't in the U.S. so the Ritz Camera brand may be hard for you to see.:-)
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:12 AM   #5

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
With that said, I wasn't able to put my hands on the Sigma for a comparison. I purchased the Tamron 70-300mm Di and I am very impressed with it. If you decide you like the Sigma, I was told that the Ritz Camera store brand "Quantaray" lenses are made by Sigma. They might save you a few dollars.
I too have heard this, butthe Quantaray lenses are made a little cheaper, one thing I noticed right off the bat was that the mounts are metal on the Sigma lenses and plastic on the Quantaray
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:17 AM   #6

I was wondering about the Quantaray lenese. They seem so cheap in Ritz's ads, I just discounted them with cheap price = poor quality. Has anyone actually used one that could offer an opinion?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:36 AM   #7

I'm trying to find the post from another board that had actual Ritz camera employees responding. They were pretty much saying that Quantaray lenses were sold to people who didn't know anything about photography and to NOT buy them.

Let me try to dig that thread up.
TN Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:40 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Basement Shows wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering about the Quantaray lenese. They seem so cheap in Ritz's ads, I just discounted them with cheap price = poor quality. Has anyone actually used one that could offer an opinion?
Quantaray lenses are made by Sigma...just re-badged. I have used the 70-300mm (w/macro) with great results. They are backed by Ritz's 5 year warranty (same as Sigma). They also have a 30 day return policy--if I were you, I would try one out for a couple of weeks and judge for yourself. Price wise, they are about $20 less than Sigma (the lst time I checked) for the same spec lenses. Hope this helps. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:09 PM   #9

bluwing wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

There are two models for both brands. Sigma has the cheaper version without the SLD elementsand the APO version which has them. The Tamron is the same way. I had the cheaper one on my Canon. I just had to watch when I shoot in High Contrast areas. Same with the Tamron.

Either brand is good. They are very close with the out put. It would be a personal choice as to which brand is better.Either wayI would go with the higher end version of either.

Rudy
This is the first time ive heard that there a tamron variants. What is the higher end one called (the tamron) Oh thanks to everyone for your help!

hoodsa
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:13 PM   #10

I will recommend the Sigma 70-300 APO DG. Got it love it.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote